worst case scenario

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stumpjumper, Apr 14, 2006.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

when i decided to do a parttime startup this year i took a long look at what could happen if things went badly. decided to do it in a way that couldnt ruin me financialy. fiqured it would be the only way to truly know my costs and plan for a full time business. GOOD DAMN THING. worst drought in 100 years and 7 ads in the local paper for new lco's. gonna move most of advertising to the 2 next closest towns and tuff it out,see how many survive.

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

There are 23 ads in the weekly paper from my city for LCO.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

i live in a town of around 10,000. only had 1 fulltime and 1 parttime lawncare working this area. fulltime guy appeared to be busy 7 days a week. apparently i wasn't the only one scoping it out. if i had borrowed a bunch for commercial equipment instead of starting with what i own it would have been pucker factor time!

4. Greenatthis

Greenatthis LawnSite Member
    from Texas

We have 21 lcos that advertise in our paper. I know of 4 others that don't even advertise in the paper. Yet I still jumped in this year. and right now I have 6 yards and doing some sub work for another lco and it's almost more than I can handle. The only advertising I do is signs on my truck, word of mouth, and cards to customers. I am thinking about taking the signs off the truck next week.