Worst helper ever

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, May 9, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

My friend wanted a job she was 16 at the time and needed money so i gave her a job picking up hedge trimmings and using the blower and 21'' wb she was an absolute pita I guess i was expecting it would actually work but she complained about everything she said she actually just wanted a nice sun tan.lol i have no idea what i was thinking

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Are you implying that women can't hack it or just that you expected that from her based on her personality?

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I guess i just expected too much from her thats all.

4. Zr2_thunder

Zr2_thunder LawnSite Member

I dont think i would ever employ a friend, its more trouble then what its worth.
    besides that they will have the mindset that they can get away with murder because there your friend.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If she was cute, I'd forgive her. lol

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think you hit this one pretty good. While some may be the exception to the rule I bet many feel this way.

7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I think the biggest thing when ever anyone wants a job in our industry is the first thing they think is "I'd like to work outside". They don't actually realize it is hard, hot and dirty work and at the end of the day you are ready to fall on the floor. It's not all sun and fun.

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I will never employ a friend again. I used a friend last fall to help me with cleanups, and it didnt turn out very well. He seemed to think that since we were buddies, he could just hang out.

9. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

i agree :waving:

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what he was implying, but I'll be happy to imply it!

I've hired plenty of women as workers over the years. None lasted over 2 months and most couldn't last a week. Not that there isn't some big brute of a woman someone who couldn't do it. But I haven't met her yet.

The first one we hired had to put on new lipstick between every stop. That was hillarious.