Worst injury on the job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Total Lawn, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Total Lawn

Total Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I had a little accident about 14 weeks ago, which gave me the idea for this thread.

I was mowing a customers yard with my great dane surfer. The yard guy nextdoor had done some trimming of the bushes and somehow he bent the chainlink fence over to my customers yard. The mesh part of the fence was sticking out and I didn't notice it until it was too late.

The fence caught the right front wheel and spun the mower to the right, abruptly. At this time my ligaments in my left ankle tore and my leg went flying out from under me. My shin hit the fender.

I finished mowing the yard and put my mower back into the trailer. I checked my shin and saw that it had a hematoma (massive swelling) on it. Went and had it checked later that day and found out about the damage to the ankle and the spiral fracture of the tibia.

Good thing it happened during the slow season.

What's your story?

2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

3. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

I got a bit of a sunburn last summer.

4. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Wow man cool pics. Is your hand back to normal?

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I hit my leg just above the knee with a chainsaw. Luckily I didn't hit anything major, but I got a cool scar and the Doctor got his weekend trip paid for.

6. Total Lawn

Total Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Wow that was a bad injury. As you said in that thread, it's a reminder to all of us to be careful while we are on the job.

I figure these injury stories is a good way of learning from others mistakes.

7. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I have zippered my leg with hegers twice! One was not so bad the other was bad, real bad. I didnt have insurance and tried to pack it myself. Ended up with one hell of a scar. I grew up with a dad that never went to the hospital as he feared they would find something really bad. I to have a fear of doctors. I think iwas 22 im am now 32 and wonder what the f%%% i was thinking.

I saw a guy get bit my a bouvier dog thru a gate. It was one of the nastiest things i ever saw. Like a 4 legged shark, just ripped his belly right open.

8. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

well i used to have a john-deere lawn tractor that i would mow all my lawns with. when i got it i was 16 and allot younger and smaller. Well when the chute to the bagger got clogged i would stick my arm down the shoot to unclog it. my arm wasnt long enough to get anywere near the deck so i would just keep the blades going to save on time. well a couple years later i was doing the same thing at the first of the season and needles to say my arm was allot longer. well my finger got nicked by the blade and chipped the bone but no massive damage. not even stitches. but the best part of the story was befor i got on the tractor i was thinking if i needed my gloves or not. luckly i didnt put them on or i wouldnt have an arm....

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Worst I can think of in terms of pain, I was clearing driveways for a friend while he was on vacation. I was on a driveway I had never done, running a 2 stage snow blower. Well, turns out there was this crack in the driveway, that caused the snow blower to come to a quite abrupt stop. And the thing that sucks, is the handles are right in line with my, uh, unit. It was quite painful for quite a while... I couldn't hardly walk right or anything for like an hour after that.

10. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is not related to mowing but your story reminded me of mine. I was going along around 30-35 with my fourwheeler without a helmet. I turned around to look behind me and him a bump which threw the side of the handle bars into a woven wire fence. That caused the bars to turn sharply to the left and it flipped the atv and through me through the air about 10 feet. I blacked out and wake up a few minutes later. It scared the S**T out of my dad cause I was only about 10 or 11:cry:. My brother who also had a lawn business always got his hand caught between the bars on his bunton and fence posts and would break his fingers. After a few trips to the hospital on multiple occasions my parents got a call from child services to make sure they were not beating my brother:nono:.