Worst October in over 10 years

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TMlawncare, Oct 11, 2011.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

This year has really been a roller coaster for us. April was cold and dry. We did not really get going untill the second half of the month. May started off dry also. Up untill Mid August everything was pretty normal. When September hit it got dry and hot. We only got 1" for the month. October temps way above normal and not a drop of rain in almost one month. Grass is nearly dormat and the leaves are falling early. It looks like we will miss our Oct. goal by over 7k. Sept we were down by 2.5k. Fall is not looking pretty around here. Good news, we have a new track loader ordered and its due to come in in 2 weeks. Looking forward to that new payment. Probably won't get an inch of snow either.
    Thank God we diversify a little. We do some fert and weed control. Saturday the pump on our lesco sprayer seized up and will cost $650 to replace. All of this starts to get me stressed. I do have a winter fund saved up. I just hate dipping into it in November to cover expenses instead of Jan were it is intended. Any one else having one of these roller coaster years?

2. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

This has definitely not been the year to jump into this business around here. We got rain last weekend probably the first good measurable rain in at least two months that I can remember. We are officially in an "extreme drought" according to the experts.

I bought a new walkbehind this spring and things were looking good. About the beginning of June came around and it started getting hot and with people around here double checking their expenses I ended up losing about 5 lawns. And thats a lot when you only have 10. lol.

I'm optimistic for spring though bought a new trailer and went in on a used 48" Gravely walk behind. Hopefully I can sell this BOP walkbehind but it's not looking good so far.

Good luck to you and everyone who had a hard year!

3. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Same here in Ga. Dry,Hot and now we get a little rain but a little too late, lawns are mostly dormant here. Most lawns that are not on contract haven't been cut in 6 weeks or longer. 2 crappy months in a row and winding down to the end of the season. Its so dry here the trees have been dropping leaves early also.

Yeah it sucks this year.

Dave...

4. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Senior Member

wet spring...dry summer...wet fall.

pretty much par for the coarse.

lucky i guess

5. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

Very wet spring, perfect summer, perfect fall. Best yet for me in 16 years. You had what we usually have. We only missed one weeks cut all season. The following week, I wished I would have mowed. I figgured the dry season was going to hit and it didn't. Lucky us.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Im kinda liking this Oct nice and dry getting other work done dont have spend so much time on a mower
    I only hope less snow then last year will at least no 28'' snow storm I like 2-3'' snow storm
    Could use some rain thats for sure

What brand track loader you bought

7. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

You mean VERY wet spring.... VERY dry summer.... VERY wet fall.

8. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

You should move to Texas where the 115 degree heat is not so bad and it never rains so you learn not to miss it.

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been a very unusual season here too. More rain in the spring then we usually get and more rain in the summer. This is the first summer that I can remember in 10 years that we didn't even have 1 missed cut from being to dry!!! Slow dry start to the fall but now we've had 2 days of rain (raining as we speak).

Lots of work coming down the pipeline.....enough that we can't get it done quick enough. Working on a large account that will let us hire roughly 6-10 guys this spring.

10. Wiedmann

Wiedmann LawnSite Member

Same rollercoaster of year up here near Des Moines, Iowa. Went from having so much rain the grass grew too fast to now no rain in many days. Yards were looking great all year and now they are brown. I haven't mowed anything in over 3 weeks. I guess it's good because I was getting a little burnt out with mowing so much and going to school but with no $$ it could start growing again. Lucky it has been raining here off and on but temps next week are going to be in the 50's so that wont do much to help grow.