Worst Sprinkler system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MikeK, Mar 21, 2003.

1. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I always have a good time swapping stories with my Irrigation buddies about some of the worst installs we have seen.

I'm sure you all have some great stories... Lets hear them!

A Few of Mine:

1. Commercial system. Indoor controllers outside, and thrown into the rock, not even mounted on the wall, PVC instead of copper coming off of the breaker ( A Big NO No in MN).
    Regular wire nuts on the valve boxes fixed spray and rotary heads on the same zone.

2. Residential DIY System.

Homeowner ripped 1/2 his basement apart to run a 3/4" Line from the meter to an outside wall, ( should have used 1")

Most of the system had 3/4 inch polly pipe in the ground running very long distances.
    Heads placed just wherever, nor real design, fixed spray and rotary heads on the same zone, rotors used on the side of the house, fixed sprays in the middle of the yard where rotors should be ( Really!)
    Customer placed each head in PVC pipe and placed rock around it, I have no reason why.

4 zone system that should have been 7 or 8.

I wish I had pictures...

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

A system that wasn't even connected to the mainline...he had it connected to his hose faucet...very low pressure and I mean very low. No timer or anything. And was all PVC up here in north like Mike said a big NO NO unless its a large commercial system, i.e. my course or the baseball fields here in town.

3. [​IMG]

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

What the heck??????

5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

check this out...

valve box in stone.jpg

6. greenworldh20

or how about this...

pvc plumbing.jpg

7. greenworldh20

how about this...

funny plumbing.jpg

8. greenworldh20

client: the gas line for the pool is 'REAL DEEP'. I saw them bury it. it must be down 2 feet.

contractor: ok. we will be careful and not pull pipe too deep. we will put the valve box here and pull from here.

labor: did you hear something hiss???

91 water\'s edge 3 gas pipe.jpg

9. greenworldh20

yup, that was the gas line for the pool around the back. it was down 10". you can see the tracking wire right by it. no sand backfilled with it. can we say 'cheapie' gas line install?

what can i say? the customer beat me up over the price last summer (drought) and i did the job for pennies.

anyway, i feel sorry for the landscaper when he does the plantings this season. i already called him and told him to mark out pool utilities.

brian

10. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Brian,
    These are great!
    I'm keeping the digital camera with me at all times this season