1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Worst Starting Year Yet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lwelve, Mar 31, 2010.

1. lwelve

lwelve LawnSite Member

This year is the worst start we have ever had since starting in the business 10 years ago.
    So far we have lost 6 residential accounts and one large commercial account and are on the verge of losing two more large commercial accounts, all do to price. No one seems to care anymore about quality of work or the numerous services you provide, it`s all about price.
    I opened the local merchandiser this morning and looked under lawn care services, there were 22 listings for lawn care services, some I have never heard of before.
    Obama sure has this country screwed up and especially the economy.
    It has has me so depressed I am thinking about giving up the business.
    I cannot do a half a#@ed job, I want my properties to look the best I can possibly do, in the past my business was built on quality and dependability, not price.
    What are other LCO`s seeing this year
    Sorry, just had to vent some.
  2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

We already went through this several years ago when much of our industry left our area. Now it is spreading through much of the country. You can even see the difference in the postings on here from 4 years ago. Lawn care has turned to a fair part time job. The big companies in my area either got out or are the worst lowballers just to stay afloat. Do you really think our economy went on the skids after Obama took office? Even the right wing nut jobs know that wasnt the case.
  3. JOG724

JOG724 LawnSite Member

all u can is wait it out part timers dont view landscape lawnmaintance as a real job it is just spending money when it gets hot thay drop like flies
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

you hope. I have a bunch of accounts in Frederick. :) I do this for a living though.
  5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

This has been said over and over for years and years on these posts. This is the biggest wives tale Ive ever heard with regard to part timers. The fact is that lawn mowing prices are down to the point of not being worth doing by anyone with a true business and the question is, Do I really want to keep doing this?
  6. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

DITTO I know the feeling, I am hoping the calls just have not started yet due to the long winter and all the rain.
  7. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I love how everyone blames someone else for their woes. Obama? Please....... The only competition is yourself! Try listening to Marty Grunder, pull your bootstraps up and do something about it. There's more to finding customers than putting an ad in the local paper.
  8. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

:usflag: :clapping: well said!! Thats how this country was built.
  9. EcoGreen Services

EcoGreen Services LawnSite Member

We're finding commercial tenders down 25% to 40% this year.
    About 20% don't want spring fertilization this year.

Some people just want a low price and don't care too much as long as it looks decent.
    We started offering mowing only. No Edging, Minimal trimming, Mow & Go.

In and out in 15 minutes. If you don't offer what they want, someone else will.

It's sad, but that's the reality.

The only saving grace is we're seeing a lot more activity on hardscaping
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

nothing is better than having the customers cll back saying ti's NOT working.

when this happens we are useually full.