Worst successful landscape buisness

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Southern Heritage, Jun 25, 2014.

1. eastsidelandcare

eastsidelandcare LawnSite Member

I think the best advice I have ever gotten is "you have to RUN the business, not BE the business if you want to grow and make money." Even if you cannot afford to NOT be the business right now, you have to set aside time to run the business so you can work your way out of being it. IMO

Lonnie
    www.eastsidelandcare.com

2. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

^^ Good advice.

3. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Well said! I'm having some troubles now and have been going back and forth on some things. Your quote has helped me a lot!

4. hudsonhawk

hudsonhawk LawnSite Member

I've heard that before too. This business and some customers will run you into the ground if you don't take time to run the business
    Often is better to take a day in the office to see how things are going.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im so sick of that saying, make me want to fart everytime I read it.

Not to bash you, because its a common on this site.

Had the OP been working his business properly the materals would have been ready for the job and the thread would have never been posted.

Its such a generalized statement that means absolutely nothing.

6. eastsidelandcare

Just because a saying is very common doesn't make it useless. Quite frankly doing a lawn service is a minimum wage job. If you want to be "IN" the business then you can expect to make minimum wage. If you want to "RUN" a lawn service you can make MUCH more. Choice is up to the individual...

Lonnie,
    Eastside LandCare

7. larryinalabama

Kind of like going to a used car lot, "the car is real clean" ...........so did you just wash it???

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Pretty easy to be an armchair quarterback Larry when the only person you have to manage is yourself ;)

Even the best of us have days where we can't tell whether we're coming or going, especially when managing multiple crews/ jobs
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. larryinalabama

I hire people all the time to do stuff for me, I just get confused about the popular saying "work on your business, not in your business". Its all one in the same. And by your own admission your working your azz off, just like the rest of us.

10. eastsidelandcare

Not looking to be offensive Larry but I think the fact that you are working your azz off is consistent with you not understanding the difference. We should agree to disagree me thinks.

Lonnie
    www.eastsidelandcare.com