1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Worst thing to hit with a mower or weedeater.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Spring Valley Lawn Service, Oct 11, 2012.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure you didnt suck up a 6" rock...I know what you meant though, but it made me laugh to think of a mower with that much lift and what it would do to a lawn if you drove over it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

The worst thing I ever hit was an old telephone pole guy wire with my brush hog. One end was still anchored into the ground. Wrapped it up good, sucked the deck down on top of it and stalled my tractor. Getting it free and unwinding it all was quite the chore.

I also hit a "fresh pile" with my trimmer once...got it all over the left side of my shirt and a little in my mouth too. Now I can truly say with confidence when something tastes like dog sh**! Glad I keep a spare shirt in my truck at all times.
  3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Hitting anything metal, I will agree with the water pipes, and manhole covers being a good one. Most of the time they are just under the grass and just high enough to catch a blade or the deck. With a trimmer, I'll agree with dog/people stuff, I also have to add condoms and we've had a couple of needles.
  4. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see, a frog hopped infront of where I was trimming and shreaded it into pieces as it flung it up 10 feet in the air. As far as the mower, probably a dead skunk at a farm I cut once in awhile. That one made me gag quite a bit.
  5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I've had a guy get on top of an old single barb wire fence and get a bunch of it wrapped around the brush hog, luckily it was mostly free, but still.... a pain.
  6. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

The worst thing I ran over was a dead possum. Worst thing of all had the bagging system on the scag. Dumping that out was nasty. I had a real young guy trimming one day and there was a huge pile of cat poooooo. So big it had to be its guts. It looked like a big leaf. Anyway he ran that weed eater through it and slung it all over him. He threw away his necklace was puking in the parking lot and went and laid down in the creek
  7. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

The worse was a little gravel smaller than a pea! It shot out of my trimmer and pinged the big glass front door of an office. The next time someone went thru the door the entire glass door disintigrated! I thought I was going to be sick.
    It turned out the customer replaced the door with no cost to me. And I still have that customer today. That customer gets top notch service from me.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

While it didn't seem like a big thing when I ran over it a pillow got wound into and around spindle blade and I thought I would never get it all out. I hate to hit those Styrofoam things it just make bunches of little pieces.