Worst thing you've run over

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brentcausey, Jun 20, 2008.

1. brentcausey

brentcausey LawnSite Member

I know this thread is goin on all the time but I couldn't find an old one. You know those banner type deals that are at car lots that run from pole to pole with red white and blue shiny things hanging off of it? Well there was about a 50-100 foot strip of that stuff that had fallen from one of the poles. Sucked it right up in my ZTR - stopped the blades and the belt was smoking as it tried to turn the blades before I could disengage the blade! Had to remove all 3 blades to get all of the rope and crap out of the blades. Almost as bad as the time I ran over the bologna package at a trailer park!:laugh:
  2. Tim White

Tim White LawnSite Member

nest with about 6 baby bunnies, felt horrible, would have wept like a baby but too many people nearby. (sorry but im a rabbit lover!!!)
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Boy....around here if you would have wiped out rabbits you would be a hero!
    Man those things inflict damage on landscaping plants in the winter.....
    (not trying to be harsh, just some fun)

Worst thing I hit, with my 21", was a young squirrel. Cut him right in two and shot him out, didn't even stop the old Toro SuperRecycler:)

4. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Oh man I feel you pain. One day I was zipping along in the spring on my ZTR and at the last moment I saw a baby fox squirrel huddled up in the leaves at the bottom of the tree, I did everything I could to stop but my momentum made me skid right over it :cry:

I had one lawn that every spring a mother rabbit would build a nest on and as soon as we started our mowers, the rabbits would be out of the holes in a flash usually. Had a few times when they didnt get out quick enough and when I was trimming I found the remains of a baby bunny. But I used to catch them as they would run up against the buildings foundation and just throw themselves at it trying to get away. It was a commercial account and the secretaries always got a kick out of it when I would bring in one of the babies for them to pet. I would do my best to gather them up and put them back in the hole.

TONTAGE LawnSite Member
    from CT

i ran over a metal fan rake with my 48" scag.grass was so high i didnt even see it.i heard it though,thats for sure:)
  6. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Hit a piece of 3/4 rebar hiding in the grass the other day. The week before i had installed brand new gators of my 60" super-z. Well the rebar was sticking up at a slight angle so instead of the blade slamming directly into it...it kinda skidded up on it trying to shave down the length of rebar. This made a herrindous racket with end result of my trim side blade flying out from under the deck! I sheared the bolt off inside the threaded end of the axle. Scared the crap outta me!
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hit a 6 inch cast iron valve cover at a new account last month. Tore up 2 blades on my Z Cat before I could shut it down. It made a ton of noise rattling under the deck.
  8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

dead skunk. Must have been a fresh kill from the night before. Put it up through the ultra vac.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

mine would prolly be the trashbag full of kittens.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

baby bunnies