Worst thing you've seen when doing a repair job?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by westcoh, May 5, 2007.

1. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

A while ago I was doing a repair job on someones paving stone patio/sidewalk and while I was pulling everything apart I came across what you see below. The previous contractor had used 6" nails spaced about a foot apart to hold the paving edge down. The homeowner told me that the last company that did it ran into financial problems, and obviously they were trying to cut corners wherever possible to save money. Just got me wondering if any of you have seen anything this bad, or what else you've run into while doing repair jobs?

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

We often see people just breaking up steps and leaving the rebar, and concrete in a big pile, then they build steps up and over this. I spend more time now on detailing my estimates and our work procedure so that the clients at least are aware of what and how this work needs to be done. We live in an ever expanding city with literally thousands new homes being built every year. New companies are sprouting up like freakin weeds. Some are not bad, others are just plain rotten. Check out "my competion" if you want to see what I'm talkin about. There has to be more to this than just collecting a cheque at the end of the job. Where is the pride?
  3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Zedosix, I'm starting to do the same thing with my estimates, but it seems like they still just look at the number and ask how to get it down. Than they sign the job and see you working and go"I didn't realize this was that much work!" :rolleyes:
  4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

On a job where I was constructing front steps, I had to first remove the existing steps. We started to jackhammer the landing and in less than 5 minutes, the ENTIRE LANDING caved in and dropped 6' down. Thank god I was standing on the edge. The idiot home builder (back in the 1950's) used several 2x4's to span across the side walls and pour a slab for the landing. The wood was completely rotted away, and nothing was backfilled. It was like a dungeon!. The homeowner told me that the inside cellar wall was always wet and cold in the winter. No wonder. Sorry, no Photos, that was before digital cameras. The most common would be morons that try to nail railroad ties to dirt. I see this everywhere.