1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Worst Weed I Have 2 Deal With

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turfsolutions, Feb 26, 2008.

1. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully I can post these pics OK. I believe the weed is Orchard Grass or Barnyard Grass. There is no pre emergant that has been effective, and no selective post emergant. I only see it on about 7 or 8 lawns so far. Most customers think it is crabgrass so I get the blame. The picture was taken on a property that was sprayed twice with roundup prior to renovation.

Anyone else dealing with this and what is your course of action. It is by far the worst problem I have because I don't know any other solution other than roundup and that is no long term solution. It looks very bad on the lawns that are infested.

Grassy Weed 002 lawnsite.jpg

Grassy Weed 005 lawnsite.jpg
  2. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

looks like vulchum grass.
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

It appears to be Dallisgrass. I'm about 99% sure of it. If not it is definitely a member of the paspalum family. Pre-emergence don't work of course because it is perennial. MSMA is the only thing there is that will control it and it takes 3-4 treatments 7 days apart. this has to be done when temps reach 90 in the day and 70 at night. I have an app that is dedicated to this weed. Virtually all new customers with lawns that have been established for awhile have this weed in my area. The government is about to take away our use of MSMA in the next 18 months. After that, I don't know what I will use. There is nothing in the pipeline right now. For the most part LCO's in the south will be F%$#@D. Sencor works very well in combo with MSMA for control but does not work alone.
  4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Crazy as it sounds, it's much less hassle if you only have a few clumps to dig them up. That's what I do. I use a soil knife and make sure I get the whole root ball. It saves me multiple trips to spray. Of course if the yard is covered in them it is not really an option.
  5. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Im definitely leaning towards orchard grass myself
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think it looks like goose grass. Roundup would not kill the seeds. It behaves like crabgrass, but it likes hotter weather and it is tougher. Is the weed an annual? Killed by frost? Lesco Stonewall is labeled for goosegrass, but the label suggests two treatments for serious problems.
  7. GreenCare Consulting

GreenCare Consulting LawnSite Member

It is Dallisgrass, and the post from ted putnam is right on. It can be tough to control and repeat applications will be needed. You will also see some discoloration of desirable cool season turf.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I agree with Riggle!

It is hard to tell by the pics but to me it looks like Goose Grass!

It looks like it has a lower profile to the ground. If it has a silverish base and the seedhead looks like a zipper then it is probably goose!

The best thing you can do it get a grassy weed ID chart which can be found all over the internet or in weed ID books.

Follow it by the chart

Hairy leaf

and you will find out exactly what it is!
  9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Ted's right on the Dallasgrass. Some of my lawns have it; and to complicate matters, the lawns are centipede. Centipede is so picky that hardly anything that work on the Dallasgrass cannot be used on centipede no St. Augustine.
    I did lots and lots of pulling and digging it out. I had the homeowners to do the same. After I got it down to manageable clumps it began to leave. Vantage worked fairly well on it in the centipede but Vantage can't be used on St. Augustine. That is a strange situation as most things (Vantage) that work on centipede will work on St. Augustine. It does take about 3 or 4 spot treatments of the vantage in the crown of the plant. Check out the label for your grass Ted and see if it will be of any use.
    Pulling when they are young and in sandy soil isn't that bad if you have the time.
  10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If it's Goosegrass, it dosn't have the normal white center and is way too suculent looking. Goosegrass is very stemmy. About the only thing I see similiar is the seed head, but Goosegrass has more 'prongs' on the seed head.

What I call what's in the picture is "Large Crabgrass". If I recall, there's actually a couple different crabgrasses out there, the smaller thicker, more compact crap that we usually deal with in lawns, and the larger varity that isn't as prevelant in lawns, but I often see in beds.

We have more of an Orchardgrass problem here, and it too is almost impossible to control. Heck, even my own lawn is about 1/4 full of the crap. It came with some seed I put down in those areas about 4 years ago. It's often in seed, even good seed at times! Just so ugly when it pops bach up taller than the other turf about 2 days after it's mowed.