Worst You Ever Got Stuck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Infinite, May 27, 2005.

1. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

Whats the worst you ever got you mower or truck stuck, and how did you end up pulling it out? I've got stuck a few times but nothing too bad. A couple of times in the mud, my former boss took a zero turn over a hill into the woods and had to get the 4X4 truck to pull it out, and an old employee I used to work with took an old old retaining wall over.
  2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

I once drove my truck into a swamp--- 3 trees and a chainfall later I was out. It was 30 degrees out and it was Sunday night.
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my buddy's lawn tractor stuck in his yard once. The black gumbo just bogged it right down..

But since you asked the worst I've ever been stuck, I guess that leaves me with lot's of times... But I guess I'll go with the one that I most feared dying from ( my own stupid fault :rolleyes: ) In 1996 I got my 72' blazer stuck so bad on a powerline easement near Krotz Springs, Louisiana, that it took 5 of my buddies, their trucks and a " borrowed " Ardco pipeline buggy 13 hrs to get it out..

The Blazer had a 500 hp 400, and 44" boggers with 4.88 gears... Kinda explains how I got this stuck.

I went "exploring" by myself ( dangerous mistake #1 ), and ventured onto an easement..( mistake #2 ).. All was well for About 8 MILES of it, I was slinging clods onto the roof.. then I encountered a hole that literally swallowed the truck whole ( water over the hood )... About that time, I grenaded the ring and pinion in the frontend.. And it was 20 degrees out side...

Here's the life threatening part: I had to walk @20 miles just to call for help..through water and mud up to my waist at times...Not fun..Especially when you're in Rural La. @ 2 am, with an orange mohawk ( I used to be pretty rebelious :rolleyes: )

Live and learn, and never wheel alone!!!
  4. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Got one of the mowers stuck the other day. Actually not literally stuck. I was cutting a steep incline near a lake and the mower took a nose dive for the lake. Locked down the brakes and barely got it stopped before the edge. Of course it would not back up the hill so I hooked a chain to another mower and pulled it back up the hill. Don't use that mower to cut the hill anymore.
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Couple of years ago we had about 17 days straight of rain.

My helper get's the 52" Toro Z-Master got stuck in some clay mud,

I tried to pull it out with my Walker, got the Walker stuck,

tried to pull the Walker & Toro out with my F-250 (2WD) :realmad:

got everything stuck and a 4WD Dodge came and pulled everything out all at once.

Talk about embarassing. I vowed that day NEVER to EVER buy a 2WD truck again. The Dodge guy was all about rubbing it in too.
  6. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Front dump Oshkosh cement mixer stuck up to the mirror's barrel was rubbing the ground on the right side. It took three other mixers a D 4 Dozier and a Ken-worth Wrecker to get me out and that was only after we dumped 9 yards of concrete on the ground.

Backed a tri-axle over a curb and dump my stone then could not get back over the curb. After a while I noticed if I raised the bed the spreader lip caught on the pile of stone enough that it raised the back set of tires off the ground. Found some boards to put under the tires and let the bed back down and got it out.

Four wheeling stories and times stuck......where to start.. LOL
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well lets see
    I got my standers stuck in wet area a couple of times. Used the 2nd one to pull the first one out. But once got the second one stuck trying to get the first one out. My kubota came to the rescue. Just wrapped a chain around the center grab bar on the stander and lifted it right out.

Got my kubota hung up in a ditch. I slid down a ditch while tilling on a slight hill. The rotor tiller was caught and keep the rear tires from touching the ground. Only the one front tire was touching the ground. Had my neighbor come pull me out with a larger tractor.

I get my 2wd F-150 stuck all the time with the trailer on it. Never again a 2wd vehicle. Heck my parents Toyota Avalon does better off pavement. (don't ask :rolleyes: )

First rule for anything that goes off pavement. Make sure you have friends with sometime bigger that what you have. Because sure enough at some point you are going to get stuck and will need something bigger to get it out.
  8. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

Burried my lesco ztr up to the hydro pumps in mud. It weas in a retention pond and i was going the i wasen't and by the time i stoped it had sunk and all i saw was the rims and no tires. I just pulled it out with a walk behind. Was kinds funny but took a while to clean up.
  9. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

drove truck into pond, water came into cab pretty fast! 12,000lb winch and another truck pulled her out. sold truck for $200
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I got my Dixie stuck on a beach one time. Actually it was only one rear tire but it still wouldn't come out. The grass ran right down to the beach and when I went to turn the one tire went a little too far out in the sand and down it went. I just got a scrap piece of wood and wedged it under the tire and she came right on out. 5 minutes, no biggie.