Worth buying a Z with bad engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by privatelawn, Jun 26, 2007.

1. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Was looking and found a scag 52" super z with a bad engine there asking $350, I seen a new kohler engine for a scag on ebay $599 23 hp, if its the right one. Im pretty sure id be able to do the engine work myself, worth buying or no?

sss.jpg

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds tempting you know what works i hope thatz all you need.

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

It would be something to tinker with if you have the time and money.

4. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

It would be something to tinker with if you have the time and money.

Ditto!

5. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

kohler makes a lot of different engines they go by a spec number on the tag you will need to get the same engine. i bought a toro with a bad engine and replace it with a brand new compleate enging $1897.00 no labor i put it in. then replaced seat wheel bearings spindle bearings deck bearings.make sure it is worts it.mine is a z master 62 inch. 25 hp still cheaper then a new one but a lot of work.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

It would be a good off season project. There is certain amount of risk not knowing the condition of hydros or spindles. Worst case you have to replace more parts. It may well becomes a nickel and dime project.

Or you may have a decent machine for not a lot of money invested.

7. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Might be a fun project and you might get a good mower out of the deal. Try to get the serial numbers and contact Scag for the 'as built' info and the age. The age alone may make you change your mind.

8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't do it. You buy a mower for productivity. Buying a used mower may cost you more in time and wasted productivity. I can a sure you it will continue to breakdown on you. The parts are going to be extremely expensive plus your time to repair and then the lack of productivity. I wouldn't do, too many problems.

9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

One has to wonder why they are not putting a new motor in it ?

10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

make sure thats the only problem..