worth leaving 100K job?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by wteeter, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wteeter

wteeter LawnSite Member

I make over 100k a year. i'm away from my wife and 2 daughters 13 and 8, anywhere from 10 to 31 days a month. Sometime I'm home 3 weeks, but the weeks away are killing me. My jobs not hard, they pay me to be away. I'm 38. Is it worth planning and saving for the next 2 years to start a lawn service business? I want to start myself and eventually hire more and more and make it grow right.

2. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Clear enough?

3. wteeter

wteeter LawnSite Member

thanks for being brutally honest

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

No way no how:dizzy:

5. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

For a single guy, I would have said go for it.

For a married guy this road will only lead to fighting over money problems, divorce, alcoholism, and suicide.

I saved your life.

Your first 2 or 3 years you'll be struggling just to make it. Let alone have enough money to raise 2 kids with.

Honestly, I would look hard at home inspections. Decent money, next to no equipment, you can work it in during weeks that you're home. Once you get 10 or 15 inspections booked a week, every week, tell your boss to take a hike. A home inspection (here) runs $675 to $875. The national average is closer to $500.

I'm currently working on the National Home Inspectors Exam. My profile has a link to my website. You can call or email if you have any questions.

6. wteeter

wteeter LawnSite Member

2 to 0 on H#@$ no! Not getting encouraged. My wife and children are suffering from time away. Any family men out there???

7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Another vote for no. (From another parent of two, with a wife that only works part time) Personally, I would find a happy medium: A decent job with insurance and enough time off to start a small, part time (LEGIT, LEGAL, INSURED) business on the side. That would allow you to work and grow into a profitable business if things work out.

8. wteeter

wteeter LawnSite Member

good stuff. thanks. my 'self starter' bubble is losing air, but the advice is great. surely don't want to become an acoholic or commit suicide. i'll check into the home inspection.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You're home for 3 weeks at a time. Plenty of truckers who are away from home too. You need to pay for health Insurance and college for the kids etc.
    $100,000, no hard work traded for hard labor, sucking dust in the hot Texas sun. I think I would get a divorce before doing that:laugh:

10. nmanley

nmanley LawnSite Member

If I wasn't already working my Retirement job (flight simulators), I'd swap with you. :drinkup: I spent 19 years working away from my family 6 months out of each year a month or two at a time. It was very rewarding working on all kind of secret stuff for the government but it was at a cost to seeing my kids grow at times. If I had to do it over again I probably would.
    Sometimes doing a good job that can save lives and pays you well is worth the personal sacrifice. :usflag:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.