worth the money

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RhinoL&L, Jun 21, 2007.

1. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new 21 push mower. The ones i am looking at are the honda hrc commercial for 1100, or hrx for 800. Is the commercial honda worth the extra money or would the hrx do fine. I will be using this to mow tight areas and hills i cant mow with the big mower
    thanks shawn

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked on the website; there doen't appear to be a huge difference in construction, but it is always worth it to get the "commercial model" as they are usually built better, and will last longer. There's a reason that the commercial model costs more. How much will you actually be mowing with a trim mower?

3. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L LawnSite Member

I use the 21 on every job. It mows about 5 full backyards and 10 to 15 hills some very steep and also mow strip between street and walk
    thanks

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Honda commercial mowers are good mowers but I would suggest you go with Toro proline commercial mowers they are built tough and will last a very long time and cost less to fix than a Honda if something goes wrong. I have used both mowers over the years but have to give the edge all the way around to Toro

5. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L LawnSite Member

lawnpro724 what model would you reccomend. I had a toro recycler and the wheels are wobbly and the transmission sucks. I have heard the toro with the honda engine is good
    thanks

6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

The difference is the hrx's have a xenon deck which is a super strong plastic. you may think its junk but I have 2 of these and I hit rocks and all kinds of stuff. the hrc has a steel deck.

7. akvadam

akvadam LawnSite Member

Dont know if this helps anyone but Consumer reports rated the Honda Hrx there best performing mower. i think the lawnboy was there best buy since its 350.00 but the hrx beat the toro recycler and quite a few others... I usually trust Consumer Reports...

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

9. akvadam

akvadam LawnSite Member

Yea the hrx is a homeowners model also.. just repeating what consumer reports said.. they compare apples with other apples so....

10. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

I would go with the HONDA HRC216HXA. This is the mower that your were talking about that is 1100. This mower is commercial grade with a hydrostatic transmission. I purchased this mower last season after my snapper went out and absolutely love it. It is worth the extra money in my opinion.