Worthless Thieves

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by integrityman, Jan 5, 2008.

1. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sure many of you out there have been targeted by those that are too lazy to earn an honest living, recently I was targeted too. I had been out clearing snow and stopped at a grocery store on the way home. I intended to buy two items. I had a Troy Bilt Polar Blast (a mammoth 45" unit that weighs almost 500lbs) and a smaller Toro in the bed of my truck. I had them both strapped down with ratcheting straps. Now normally I will back up to a light pole or other obstruction to deter thievery... but that day I did not. I let my guard down. Within a minute or two of going in the store these buffoons backed up to my truck and dropped the tailgate of both trucks, cut the straps and rolled the equipment onto their truck. The theft took less than a minute to execute. Fortunately the theft was caught on video- and I was very lucky to get my equipment back undamaged.-Albeit almost a month later. The moral of the story: NEVER let your guard down! Use a good strong chain to secure your stuff.

2. Hoji

Hoji LawnSite Member

So are you pressing charges ? Are these bad boys going to jail? So the rest of us are protected?

3. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah- im presing charges, the clown that stole my stuff is in jail for trying to steal some atv's then leading the police on a long high speed pursuit. The jackass fence that bought my stuff gets a walk because he coughed up where my stuff went... Guess you gotta make a deal with the devil sometimes...Trust me on this though, there are just too many of these pieces o' #@*% out there to let your gaurd down for even a minute.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

scum of the earth.........

5. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

Been there and done that. If the Officer's had treated me like I was the victim from the start...I would not be trying to sell trailer locks. But they did treat me like I was a thief..thinking I was trying to get insurance money. Once things were straightened out and we were now looking for the thief...well things got better but I never forgot the treatment. Trailer theft is not that big of a thing on their radars. I could really get up on a soap box and spout off on this issue. Better to keep my mouth shut.....Ken

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I had some equipment stolen which included a lawn tractor that was secured with 2 steel chains and they cut through them in a second with bolt cutters !! Moral of this story is that even locks won't stop them ... it may slow them down for half a minute, however, it won't stop them !!

7. BSIA

BSIA LawnSite Member

my brother does lawn care in Atlanta. He said there was some low-lifes riding around in a
    truck. when they saw a lawn care trailer with the gate down they would pull up to it and grab the weed eaters and blowers out of it and take off. By the time you got out to truck they were long gone

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Ha ha ha, I was so perturbed when my stuff was stolen, I told the officer that if I ever caught anyone stealing I would cut their fingers off with a skill saw, a quarter inch at a time! He said to make sure there was a tall cornfield nearby! It feels real personal when someone steals from you. Tony

9. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

At least you got it back. I had a dirtbike stolen around 2 years ago, it was worth about $5500. They found it over a year later about 25 miles away when they ran a drug bust on someones house in the ghetto. Found it on the back porch. Insurance didn't give me anything and the bike was complete trash, sold it for $600.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Big dogs and firearms.