Would a 36" be my best bet?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by new2thebiz, Aug 5, 2004.

1. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

I just got started this year and am currently using a 42" riding lawn tractor for my larger accounts and a 24" commercial self propelled push mower for my smaller ones. I plan to get a new commercial walkbehind in the spring, and was wondering if I would be better off to go with a 36", which I could use on all of my lawns, or if I should just get something bigger like a 52" to cut back more time on the larger lawns?

Right now I have 12 accounts,

5 are about 1/2 acre, or about 1 1/2 hrs with the rider.
    1 is about an acre, 2 hrs 15 min with the rider.
    The other 6 are small, 30-45 min withe the 24".

These times include trimming and blowing, and I plan to grow about 20 accounts for next year, I'm guessing the size ratio will stay about the same.

So what do you guys thinkwould save me more time overall, a 36" on all of them, or a 52" on just the larger ones?

2. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

36 no question...then your set for any lawn since you have a larger rider....those 30 minute lawns will take 12 minutes or so going to a 36. Trust me on this....I started with a 46 rider and push, then got a 52 WB with a 21 SP...and I still need that 36....6 yrs and counting.

3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, what he said..........

4. new2thebiz

thanks for the advice, I was leaning towards the 36 anyways, but just wanted to get some oppinions from people with more experience than me first.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

No doubt, a 36 is a must-have for any LCO. Fits thru almost any gate, but still big and fast enough to get some grass cut.

6. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be nosy but why does it take 1.5 hours to mow a half an acre with a 42" rider? I have a client whose half acre is so weird that I cant do it with my 48" so I do it with the 21" Toro and it only takes me about 50 minutes. Getting a good commercial 36 is good advice as it sounds like you speeds are too low with the rider.

Best of luck.

7. new2thebiz

They dont all take me 1.5 hours, it ranges from a little over an hour to an hour and a half. But yea I do go pretty slow with the rider. Its only a 900.00 mtd lawn tractor, far from getting a commercial looking cut unless you keep the speed at about 2 mph. I figure that since I only have a dozen accounts for now, I might as well take a little extra time to make them look as good as possible so I can get some referrals and be able to afford that 36.

8. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh, good for you. Take your time and do it right and new accounts will come.

Best of luck.

9. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

If you want something fairly good and cheap, go with the dixon zeeter or zeeter HL they have 30" 36" and 42" models. 30" starts a 2099" there ztrs so there a little more $$$ but worth it. I have the Dixon 4515B 42" 15.5 Briggs. Works like a horse. Great power. Just my two cents. Good luck.

10. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Just recently bought a 36 and am loving it. Saves 2 hours per week

Trevor