Would a name change help get more customers?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MJK, Nov 23, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

My current name is Unique Lawn & Landscape, LLC. Now i work at a Landscape construction company and do this on the side. I'm 21 years old and want more landscape jobs. With the Lawn in the name i'm afraid people will think this guy just cuts lawns and thinks he can do landscaping which isn't the case. Landscape construction is all i know. Thats why i was thinking of changing it to Unique Landscape Construction, LLC. What do you think? Good move or bad?

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

All moves are risky, but I agree with your philosophy. We were a small lawn care outfit until we started picking up more and more landscaping jobs. Now we do not put lawn care on our logo or signs.

3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have said no - but then saw lawn care.

The word "lawn" tends to degrade some titles.

4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Unique Landscapes LLC

theres more money in landscaping go for it

5. MJK

Yea i agree there is more money in Landscaping. I can't use Unique Landscapes because someone is already using that name. I just want people to see the company as a ligit Landscape company, not a guy cutting grass that can plant some plants and spread some mulch.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Well, i wouln't agree that there is "more money in landscaping", as thats all we do. Landscape installs have their pros and cons; it's economy driven - when the economy takes a dip - so does our sales. Whereas with maintenance - the grass is always growing.

Anyway, many many years ago I did a name change.

I came up with a name that didnt limit us by any means. As well as a name that didnt broadcast promises we couldnt keep.

The word "unique" is a term where if you use it - you damn well better be doing something unique for your clients, as in producing ideas that are out of this world.

Good business names do not typically arise overnight. Usually takes time and alotta thought, as well as creativity.

7. MJK

I like the name Unique because it stands out in the crowd. I'm young and i know this business. I know how to do everything from plantings to paver's and retaining walls to ledge rock etc. I'm afraid people will think that because i'm young that i'm a lawn jockey. I'm not i'm a Landscaper first Lawn jockey second. I want more Landscaping jobs. Thats why i'm thinking of changing my name. I know were your coming from DVS, the name Unique comes with its problems, but i just want to be noticed.