1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would a residential reference work?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tcls83, Jan 27, 2006.

1. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I'm working to get some commercial accounts next year, and on all of the letters for the contract bids, they require a reference. Most of my accounts are residential, and I know some would absolutely give a good reference. Would they qualify as a good reference?

I do have 2 semi-commercial accounts- a small independent convenience store, and a small church. They also seem satisfied, but their properties are similar in size to my residentials, they just don't seem legitimately commercial.

Should I not worry, and use the residentials as references? What have you used to get your foot in the door? Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

Ask the church and convenience store if you can use them as references, and also use one residential customer. Just make sure that everyone you use knows that you listed them as a reference so they will be expecting the call. I did the same thing about a year ago and it worked for me.
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

/\ That is exactly what I would do.
  4. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Thank You.

Could I furnish more than 3 references, like say the church and convenience store, and say 3 or more residential customers? Would that be too many, or would that help me even more?