would a s 10 or ford ranger pull it

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BOTURF, Dec 9, 2003.

1. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to get a chevy s 10 or ford ranger to supplement our landscaping fleet , my question is this would a s10 with a 4 cylinder pull a 12 ft enclosed trailer full of flats of flowers and some hand tools also would the plants get to hot in there ? they would only be in trailer a hour and a half max sometimes less

2. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

BOTURF,

I would get a V-6 if I had the choice.
    I dont know how much your trailer weighs but I pull a 14 ft. tandem axle trailer loaded with a Gravely Z, Scag walk behind, two line trimmers, two blowers, about six gallons of gas and various tools with a two wheel drive GMC Sonoma. (Same as an S-10).
    You had better make sure you have trailer brakes. Mine are surge brakes. This way, I can pull my trailer with any vehicle and I don't have to worry if it is wired for electric brakes.
    Regarding your question about the heat affecting your flats.
    I would avoid getting a black trailer. Personally, since heat is a concern, get a white trailer as white reflects the sunlight and would keep the inside much cooler.
    Hope this helps some.
    Craig

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

get the v6 if you can afford it. then you can use it to pull a mower or two around in emergencies.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

why go so small? is it costs?

5. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

yes cost as i already have 2 3500 duallys also going to be using this truck for estimates so would like to see it not head to gas pumps everytime we pass a station

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are asking for problems down the road using that small of a vehicle to tow with.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

a v6 will be fine for towing a lighweight trailer and mower around. Plus as you said, it'd be nice not to have to fill up every time you pass a gas station if all you'll be doing with it is hauling flats and doing estimates.

8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not sure if you were aware, but when i was researching a new trailer, I found out that a really well built single axle enclosed 12 footer would weight in the vacinity of 1500#....just a heads up since i have no idea how a truck that small would handle that large a load.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

It won't for long......
    Not to mention the fact that it is gonna push that small truck should you need to stop in a hurry.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

IT WILL TOW IT!!!!! but not for long, in 93 I had to use a 4 cylinder 5 sp. short bed ranger 4x4 to tow a 16 ft tandom with a ford 1720 trac & loader and harley rake plus I had the back tires loaded on trac. weight with trailor 8900#. Tow rating on ranger was 1200# used it for 3 1/2 months before I traded it in and it was new when I started to use it. It had 4500 miles when I got rid of it and sounded BAD but still had the factory warrenty on it. I feel sorry for who ever ended up with it becoase I know that 4,500 mile was the equivelent of about 250,000. LOL With the weight and the wind resistence of the trailor I would not recommend one. The ford 150 with the 4.2 six is rated to tow 5500# or 6200# I can't remember which and it will get about the same MPG as the little trucks with the bigger 6 cylinders.

Mac