1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would a sulky cause damage...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Jan 20, 2005.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I am wondering if a sulky on a belt drive walk behind mower, would cause any damage to drive system or premature wear and tear on the machine? Also which type of sulky do you prefer? Thanks in advance.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't use a sulky on my Metro this past year, so I have no recommendations. Re: wear and tear: Obviously, pulling an operator behind it will wear a machine out a bit sooner than not pulling 200+ lbs., but my gut says the increase in productivity would more than compensate...unless you can walk at five miles per hour or better all bloody day long in 90-degree heat. I can't.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 32inch toro wb that is used for backyards. It is about 10 years old, and has had a velke on it since day 1, and no exess wear that I can see other than usual. They are built to handle hard use, it will be fine.
  5. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Used my Exmark Metro BD all last seaon with a velke. No problems other than constant flats on the velke tire from running over things. Solved that by buying one of the no flat tires. Can't see where it hurt the machine at all.
  6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

No damage. Belt drives have been pulling sulkys long before hydros showed up. I have an old JD 48" belt drive with a 12.5 Kaw that pulls 200+ lbs without a problem. My Exmark Metro 48" with 14 Kohler pulls Exmark's steerable sulky all the time. Just have to be careful about wheel spin, because many times the belt drives have smaller wheels than hydro, more apt to spin if you are not careful.

I have never had a problem with belts or transmissions related to pulling sulkys.
  7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I see you have 15 Kawi on your bobcat, that engine is a horse. I have 12.5 Kawi on 36" Metro and 17 V-twin Kawi on 52" TTHP, both hooked up with jungle wheels, wear and tear? Not an issue, the problem is just flat tires cause I ran over thorns a lots on few of my accounts.
    Try using 10-30 synthetic on motor, it truely increase HP and run very smooth, also greasing regularly will prevent problem.
  8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a mower that I got in 96' that has the original belts on it and I use a velke on that mower. Better the mower gets worn out than you. I am 200lbs and the single wheel velke is only rated to that so I recomend a no flat tire or a 2 wheel velke.
  9. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input guys.