Would an oil coller help?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Vibe Ray, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I was just noticing that Dixie Choppers have an engine oil cooler on them. Would my mower benefit in anyway by installing one on mine?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Vibe,

The simple answer is yes and no. In theory anytime you keep petroleum oil below 180 degrees its going to last longer. The longer you run it above 180 and the higher you run it above 180 the more the oil will break down. As the oil breaks down it can no longer lubricate properly and wear begins to occur.

This is all true. The problem is we're talking about a lawnmower and not a car or a boat. Your average car or boat operates in an extremely clean environment compared to you lawnmower. The overwhelming majority of lawnmower engine failures occur due to dirt ingestion rather than from overheating or lack of lubrication. If you've got a canister air filter then you may want to consider taking some extra steps to protect the lubrication of the engine. If you have a standard air filter with pre-cleaner make sure your doing your maintenance.

My personal opinion is that if you want some extra protection in the crankcase run synthetic oil. Many of the oil coolers don't operate all that efficiently in comparison, adding more fittings means more potential leaks, and it's a maintenance item. You've got to keep the cooling fins clean, straight etc. If it were me, I would run the synthetic oil and call it good but remember most of this protection doesn't do you much good if you get dirt in the engine.

Taking great care of the air filtration may be a better way to spend your time and your money.

Thanks

Terry

3. Vibe Ray

Understood....now I wonder what you meant when you said:

If you've got a canister air filter then you may want to consider taking some extra steps to protect the lubrication of the engine. If you have a standard air filter with pre-cleaner make sure your doing your maintenance.

I have a 19 HP Kaw w/ just the standard air filter and the Enginaire precleaner. It looks like it would be possible to install an air caister filter between the adapter and the pre cleaner (just clamped on). What do you think? That is if I can find the right parts.

And I do plan on using synthetic oil once I get my hands on some Amsoil.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Vibe,

Short answer: if you have a standard air filter your engine will most likely die from dirt ingestion long before the synthetic oil has a chance to show it's worth in engine life expectancy.

With a canister air filter the dirt ingestion problem is greatly reduced and the engine will run longer allowing the synthetic oil to extend the life even farther.

Thanks

Terry

PS: Kawi says their new canister is just about ready!! As soon as itÂ’s in the pipe line Kawi will probably let everyone know. But you didn't here it from me.

5. Vibe Ray

I learn something new everyday! Ok, I see now, understood.....could you post when YOU find out that they are available for purchase. You know, on the day that they are available, let everyone here know. Cuz you will probably find out sooner than us. The sooner we put them on the better!