Would applying .4 barricade and .1 dimension do more harm than good?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Derek's Lawn Care, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Derek's Lawn Care

Derek's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from IL

Would Applying .4 barricade at 4# per 1000 and the second app a month or so later applying a .1 dimension at 4# per 1000 help prevent crab grass better or damage the lawn in any way? Im trying to get the best coverage for pre emergent i can, not having major problems but right now my 2 apps of .1 dimension at 4# per 1000 isnt preventing as much as i would like it to. Just wondering if this would be too much?

2. Derek's Lawn Care

from IL

Forgot to mention its lesco fert in St Louis

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Yes will def be a better match to prevent crabgrass. This is my first time trying split apps of .15 Dimension and im not very impressed. I have had good luck with a single app of Barricade .375 at about 4.5 per k

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

It seems rather late. Crabgrass stops growing when temperatures fall below 40 at night. Wouldn't that happen in September? I see no point in crabgrass preventer 6 to 8 weeks before frost.
    Of course, pre-emergent now would interfere with fall seeding--if you have those plans.

5. Derek's Lawn Care

from IL

No no, I mean in the spring time not now
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Dave Stuart

Dave Stuart LawnSite Member

Barricade has the longest soil residual of all the dinitroanaline herbicides, 2 sequential applications at .38 lb active/ acre will give extended coverage well into summer and discourage some summer broadleaf annual weeds as well.

Dimension is in the pyradine class of chemistries, it has pre / post capabilities. The pre-emergent qualities are very good and it will control crabgrass in the post stage from 4 leaf to 1 tiller effectively.

Together they are a good strategy, barricade early as the first treatment at .38 lb / acre from 2nd week march - 1st week April date range. Then dimension at .25 lb /acre rate about 4 - 6 weeks later, date range late April - end may.

At these rates with the specified date ranges mitosis of the desired stand will not be affected.

Dave Stuart / MA plant physiology, soil science.

7. Derek's Lawn Care

from IL

Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

welcome to the forum dave.
    ant

9. Dave Stuart

Dave Stuart LawnSite Member

Thanks ant - anyway I can help out just give a shout.

Dave.