Would appreciate info on lawn seeding...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bassman, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I am located in south Florida. Have a customer who is in Mass. until winter and I maintain his lawn. It's an older St. Augustine/Bahia mix lawn and is typically getting sparse and scrubby looking after many years.
    He wants me to spread some seed to help fill in the lawn. I don't have any experience doing this. What would be a good type grass seed to use in south FL? I know the local home depot carries several types. Do I spread it with broadcast fertilizer spreader? He is just hoping for some new growth in sparse area's not looking to spend much money. He spread some Rye himself last winter and I don't like the way it fits in at all.
    Thanks for any and all replies, much appreciated.
  2. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Got Bermuda? That stuff spreads like wildfire and if he's only looking to fill in the sparse areas that should do fine. It's not going to look high class, but what more do you expect if he's not willing to fork over lotsa $$$?

Be sure to prep the areas you seed, there's a reason the grass is sparse.
  3. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I was under the understanding that you could not seed Bermuda.

All my reference materials say you can't. Zoysia and Centipede you can seed.

Bermuda can only be put it sod. I am pretty sure about this.

Do a soil test on the problem areas. This will tell you why the spots are the way they are. Also check for grub or insect damage to determine why the spots are the way they are.

Leonard is right, determine why the spots are sparse by testing.

You should have a extension agent or local agronomist that can help you. Check your phone book for the Cooperative Extension agency in your area. They usually work through a state university or college.
  4. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

You can seed Bermuda.

For info on Bermudagrass and Hybrid Bermuda's, visit <a href="http://www.bermudagrass.com">Bermudagrass.com</a>. You can buy seed directly from Seedland.com.

5. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I checked the website.

Your right, all the reference books I have and my extension agent are wrong then.

I knew you could sow centipede but didn't know about Bermuda.

We are predominantly cool season grasses here in the mountains. I know a guy who tried centipede but has not had any success.

We get too cold in winter and it usually too hard of a winter and spring for warm season grasses.
  6. smithsonmi

smithsonmi LawnSite Member

I thought Bermuda was normally put in as sod or sprigs, not seed. I never knew why it was not normally seeded.
  7. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Certain varieties can only be sodded. Common bermuda and others can be seeded. I know that I didn't sod or sprig that junk in my yard...but typical of bermuda down here, it came in anyway. Crap.

A 'lil bit of history about the stuff...(From seedland.com)

Bermuda grass was brought to America in 1951 from Africa and since that time has developed from the basic forage grass into one of the major grass species used on the most exclusive golf greens worldwide. This grass is a perennial sod former, dark green, drought resistant, low growing, fast repairing, full sun, has fair salt tolerance, can be mown closely, forms a dense turf, goes into dormancy when temperatures drop below 60 degrees and greens up fast when temperatures rise. <b>Once only grown from sod or sprigged t is now available as seed in both common and improved varieties. </b> Bermuda spreads by rhizomes and stolons and is a highly diversified grass.

Lawns planted in Bermudagrass can attain full lawn coverage in one year. It is not uncommon for seeded Bermuda lawns to be established within 60-90 days. This grass is one of the few warm season coverage that will grow a little further north in colder climates. It will turn brown at the first dip in temperature though. Look for more cold tolerant varieties. In the more warmer tropical south, during average rainfall years, Bermuda will retain a beautiful green color all year round. This grass can be grown on low to high maintenance schedules depending upon the usage.

Known as one of the most persistent and aggressive grasses grown <b>it is very hard to kill after establishment.</b> Germinates quickly from seed, covers quickly and grows in a variety of soils. With a fair degree salt spray tolerance, Bermuda is used in coastal regions all along the south and up to the lower sections of the cool season area. One of the best qualities of this grass is the degree of growth that can be achieved through good management practices. This is highly desirable on golf courses and athletic fields where heavy traffic damages occur daily.

On golf courses Bermuda grass is the number one choice for tee and putting areas. The sodded varieties are still the finest in texture and density. and are used even for greens. To grow these hybrids at lower heights requires an extraordinary maintenance schedule. Expertise is required to control disease and insects Managers must also be knowledgeable concerning frequent fertilization schedules, over-seeding management techniques, utilization of intense mowing schedules for shorter mowing heights than most lawns, plus accurate irrigation and drying procedures.

<b>This is not to say that the only varieties used are the ones from sod. Developments in the grassing industry have produced many improved seeded ones that are being used more and more. The newer seeded varieties are now being used extensively for fairways and tee boxes. </b>