Would i Be Wrong If I Posted Non-paying customers info on the web? lol

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ATL Lawn, Oct 3, 2006.

1. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Would i Be Wrong If I Posted Non-paying customers info on the web? lol

i want to start a stie called. HeDontPay.com

:laugh: :laugh:

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

That's not a bad idea at all! I remember when I just bought a new 8hp giant vac and it got stolen, I wanted to start a site called stolengoods.com!

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is already a site just like that. There are guys on here that know what it is...It is called baddebts, or something like that.

4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

5. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

6. GearHead_1

GearHead_1 LawnSite Member
    from Utah

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No you can NOT do that, it is against the rules explained in the Fair Debt Collection Act and you can get in serious trouble for publically posting said information.

A short of it:
    § 806. Harassment or abuse [15 USC 1692d]
    A debt collector may not engage in any conduct the natural consequence of which is to harass, oppress, or abuse any person in connection with the collection of a debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:
    (3) The publication of a list of consumers who allegedly refuse to pay debts, except to a consumer reporting agency or to persons meeting the requirements of section 603(f) or 604(3)1 of this Act.

The rest you can read here:
    http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm

Afaik you can, however, post it privately or in a members-only section, such as here: http://www.thedeadbeatlist.com/

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You know.. what sux, is if somebody complains to the BBB about your company, it gets posted all over the web.. but you can't post a complaint about a customer on the web? I say BS... do it and then let somebody prove you are in the wrong.

9. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You'd better have good lawyers.