would like opinions on walk behinds.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by creedua, Jul 8, 2006.

1. creedua

creedua LawnSite Member

have been doing alot of research on walk behinds and still cant decide. i really like the hustler because of the steering and the roller. also like the toro with the true trak sulkey. thanks for any help.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If reliability is a factor look at Scag hydro.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Before you get set on a brand, you'll want to check out any dealers close to you to see what brands they carry.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I like the controls on the Hustler, as well as the T-bar, true track sulky is nice but not in corners, best bang for your buck is a belt drive T-bar w/ sulky, I haven't owned a Hustler WB, but I've tried one, it was pretty sweet.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

It's up to you to pick the brand that feels right to you. You are the one holding on to it every day. But as far as making money and "cost" of equipment, Hydro is the only way to go.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i demoed a toro w/ t-bar last week and hated it with a passion, probably because ive spoiled myself with ECS on my eXmark!

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

NOthing beats the hustler h-bar controls. with a hydro WB get a fixed sukly wiht caster wheels so you can use the full potential of the machine and manuver it like a Z.

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler is a good WB with those easy controls. I tried a sulky and hated it. Sent it back to the compnay after 1 day. Couldn't keep the mower going straight on bumpy yards and I felt like I didn't have good control.

Might work okay on a smooth golf course. :laugh:

I also have a Hustler ztr so I like sitting down on a ztr than riding a sulky.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What mower brands do local dealers carry? Out of all the dealers and brands, which has the best service and support in your area?

You will want to go with a brand that has awsome dealer support so if you have a problem, your dealer can get it resolved/serviced promptly!

If you are going with a WB and can afford it, GO HYDRO. I would not waste my time with a belt drive mower again!

10. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

First your going to have to look at your dealer options. Then the service that those particular dealer provide. However, We use Hustler wb's will never go back to anything else. H-bar controls are hands down the best controls on the market dont mess around with pistol grips or ECS if you dont have to.

Toro wb's w/ there t-bar controls are very nice also. Cant say anything bad about them. Good machines.