Would like opinions on which mower I should get.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by KylieGreen, Mar 22, 2005.

1. KylieGreen

KylieGreen LawnSite Member

Hi,
    Im so happy to find this site.It is great to have knowledgeable and informed homeowners and industry people together to share ideas and get information from!Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions!

Im a homeowner with a little over a half acre of land.I love to mow and am looking for a self propelled,fast mulcher/bagger for around $400 or $500.

I had a Snapper and loved it for all the reasons listed above and also because of ease of use but I seemed to have had to take it to the shop a lot after a few years of heavy duty use in my semi rough lawn.It is a fescue lawn and I mow it every 4 days in Spring and fall.The frame finally broke last week and instead of fixing it I think its time for a new mower(it is 10 yrs old).

Even though the Snapper seems to have everything I like and want Im wondering if there is another brand that would suit my yard and mowing habits better?

Here are the two I am looking at;

Cub Cadet Mower SR 621
    http://www.epinions.com/content_137498562180

Snapper P216012 Hi Vac Bagging Mower
    http://www.epinions.com/content_64889982596

Thank you for any suggestions and thoughts you may have.

Kylie

2. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

I'm in the same situation and after looking for a while....I went with the Snapper. It gives the most power, best bagging, and mulches good witht the Ninja blades. I love the drive system and the whole machine seems much more heavy duty than others out their. I replaced a 12 year old Honda, that did fine, but the good ones are high dollar!!!

Stay with Snapper and you will get a lot of years of cuttin'!

Cub Cadet is nothing but a yellow MTD, and the quality is lacking. Plus most Cub dealers around here have dropped them now that MTD is there owners!!!

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have 3 CUB Tanks and have nothing but good luck with them. We also have a 36" MTD Pro W/B and that has worked out great!!!!!!!!!

4. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

Check out Toro or Lawn-boy also, have great service to go with them.

5. KylieGreen

KylieGreen LawnSite Member

Thanks for such quick responses.I gotta say - Its nice to be able to hear info from people who aren't trying to sell me something but just giving an honest opinion.I really appreciate it.

Im leaning towards the Snapper/Cadet because I am familiar with them but WOW the Toro has the best warranty Iv ever heard of!!
    Part of my hesitation about the Snapper is because I spent so much money getting it repaired after a few years of use....Id be willing to spend the money on a Toro with a warranty like that.Thanks for the reccommendation NC Scaper!

6. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

Snapper has a 4 year warrenty, Toro's is 5, but there decks don't bag as good, and they have less power. Ask your Snapper dealer about 4 year warrenty, all you have to do is buy their "SYN" oil and your good for 4 years!