Would like to hear from users of the Bad Boy mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried the search function and didn't get much help ( too many threads to wade through that had nothing to do with bad boy mowers ) So I am starting this thread.

I am considering purchasing a Bad Boy mower and want to know how this brand of mower has worked out for you guys.

The few threads I was able to dig up on the search function, several of the posters appeared to be first time commercial mower buyers, or this was their first ZTR, etc... And although I am sure their opinion on the mower is vaild, I am really interested in hearing from people like myself who have been in the business a while and have owned and operated many different brands of machines, and who can appreciate the small differences between one machine and another ( good or bad )

I am very curious how the mowers cut looks.
    Does it lay down stripes good?

Does it discharge well?

Does the deck tend to get clogged up with grass clippings that stick to the inside of the deck and have to be scrapped off every day or two?

Is there much blow out from the front of the deck?

How does it do when backing up over what you already cut, does it leave a mess of clippings from backing up ( the Everride mowers I demoed did this worse than any mower I have used ) or does it still have a clean look like it did from the forward pass before backing up? ( I like to go forward and backwards with the discharge always facing one way, in the fall to mulch/blow leaves off the lawn. )

How fast is the electric lift and do you find it hard to use since there is no selectable stopping point where you can set the cutting height and raise or lower from then on without having to worry that you lowered too low?

How do the belts hold up?

The Idler pulleys and their bearings?

Is the mower fairly smooth with the blades on or is there a vibration in the machine that can be felt?

Can you really feel a marked improvement or difference in the ride with the rubber donut suspension?

Sorry for all the questions, but like I said I am considering purchasing one and want to make sure I don't buy something I will be unhappy with.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

How does it do when backing up over what you already cut, does it leave a mess of clippings from backing up ( the Everride mowers I demoed did this worse than any mower I have used ) or does it still have a clean look like it did from the forward pass before backing up? ( I like to go forward and backwards with the discharge always facing one way, in the fall to mulch/blow leaves off the lawn. )

I don't know ANY mower that will cut properly going backwards.

Besides, you have a Scag, why would you even consider a BB? I can't see anything on a BB that is any better then a Scag.

3. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Sure, any mower will leave a mess of debris if you try to back up over uncut grass. But alot of mowers will not leave debris if you back up over grass you just cut on the forward pass, if that makes sence. The everride with the high flow tunnel deck would leave debris when backing up over the pass I just made going foward, the Scag doesn't.

Why consider a badboy when I have a Scag? I don't know.... The scag has no suspension, and no suspension seat and I think I would like a mower with these features, I also would like the tax write off too.

4. ALC-GregH

from PA

ok, I understand now what you meant. Might consider a Ferris if your concern is suspension. I ordered my Cub with a suspension seat, man what a difference. BB thought, I've seen them up close and they "look" cheap. Thats not "saying" their cheap but after checking out the controls, I'd stick with a Scag.

5. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Well, that is why I am asking here for input from owners of Bad boy mowers. Especially ones who may have owned Toros, or Exmarks, or Scags, or any other mainstream brand of mower previously so they can make apples to apples comparisons.

6. ALC-GregH

from PA

good luck finding that kind of info. It will all be biased. I think your best bet is to find a BB dealer and try one out for yourself, you'll be the one using it. Make a list of things to look for then go demo it. good luck....

7. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

THAT last pragraph is an arrogant statement. I don't own either brand but have demo'ed both brands before and know enough about the different models to know that i'd much prefer the Bad boy models that have suspension and the other features over the Scag wildcat model. There's nothing wrong with the Scag Wildcat but it does not have the suspension seat or suspension on the mower. If he's looking at the Bad Boy mower models that have suspension, then Yes, the Scag turf Tiger would be a viable alternative (although usually a little higher priced) to the Bad Boy mowers that have the suspension and the other features that he may be interested in. But just because a mower has the name SCAG written on it, does not mean that it is automatically SUPERIOR to any other mower brand out there. You seem to imply that if someone owns a Scag that they shouldn't even consider a Bad Boy mower. Feature for feature, the Scag Wildcat will not match the Bad Boy Lightning or AOS models. But it was never intended to match the two aforementioned Bad Boy models. That would be the Turf Tigers area. The poster seemed to indicate that he was looking for something that rode better than his mower, which the Bad Boy models with suspension and suspension seats will easily do, in fact, they will ride better than a Turf Tiger. That doesn't make them better machines but it does make them more comfortable in the ride category. I do agree that I don't particularly for the steering levers positioning on the Bad Boys AOS and Lightning models. They made the Armrests nearly useless for me when moving forward very fast. I like both brands of mowers,and don't mean to bash Scag mowers at all, but it gets a little old to continually read from som Scag owners that the Scag is superior to all other brands out there. Even if they were superior, it would still get old reading it all the time by us "non Scag owners. And in my case, it is not jealousy that makes me feel that way. I own a Lastec 61" mower and am very satisfied with it and have no desire to switch to any other brand as of now, because it suits my needs just fine, but I also am aware that ther are ALOT of brans of ZT's ou there that will also do a great job, so that is what keeps me, for the most part, from making the derogatory remarks about other brands of mowers. After all, the original poster did say that he wanted to hear from people who have used , owned or had experience with them, and get their impressions of the machines. Sorry for the rant, nothing personal, I just disagreed with the statement" if you own a Scag, why would you even consider a BB" Razorblades.

8. toddol1971

toddol1971 LawnSite Member

Well I used an exmark & now own a bb & the bb is tougher. I at this time dont like the cut as much, but am working on that see my other thread. I love the suspension. I think the pumps are bigger on the bb because its a litte jerkier than the exmark. I guess that can be translated into quicker hydro flo. I only have 2 hrs on my bb though. So far so good.

9. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Our city parks and recreation departments tossed the Scags last year and went with BB's. I have not talked to any of gys who use them day in and day out who felt the city leaders made a bad choice. They seem to really like them, especially at the end of a long day.

10. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

You can put the "suspension seat" on the Wildcat mowers. I have the Tiger and have demoed the Badboy mowers. I will keep it simple and say I like the Tiger hands down. I think you need to go demo a badboy for yourself. Also how does your Scag dealer treat you? Is there a badboy dealership nearby? Demo and let us know what you think. (You get what you pay for was the conclusion I got.):usflag: