Would like to start doing ponds?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Dec 27, 2005.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

n2h20 thanks I'll check into that this week.

thanks mike

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

does anyone know of any build a pond days i tried to find some but know luck.iwould like to get into doing that not many around here are but have never done one so i need somewhere to start

3. creativegrade

creativegrade LawnSite Member

dig a hole fill it up!

4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

hmm check the aquascape site or maybe a local pond shop if you have any near you.
    also the Ippca may have some info..

5. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I just attended the one in Billings, MT held yesterday 1/30/06.

It was pretty quuickly done, began at 9am and ran until 1pm, but we ended up going to almost 2pm. I'm a marketing guy by trade so I went to really learn about the actual product, which was nil. Mostly they discussed the one day concept, kits, smaller 'bread-n-butter' 11x16 ponds.

Some time was spent discussing larger commercial projects, but the profit margins weren't as high as the smaller ponds, and you can get into quite a bit of trouble - and overhead expenses - if you're not careful.

They do have a tech department and will fly a guy out for a few days to 'consult' and help you out. You pay the cost associated with that and then pass it on in your bid process.

I did spend $110 on two books. 'Succeeding $ Prospering with Water Features' Vol. II, and 'Pond Builders Bible'. Both are great material if you're just getting involved and I would HIGHLY recommend the Pond Builders Bible.

Being just a one man operation, I'm not sure if I can pull off a One Day Pond, actually I'm quite certain I couldn't. Maybe two days, if it's a small one. I am going to concentrate on the pondless waterfall aspects of the biz though by placing one at our own home.

Overall, the company seems to be sound and headed in a profitable direction. Their philosophy is unique and in one of their DVD'd I have they mention it being like a franchise without the fee.

Average profit of a pond kit is around $2500-$3500 and higher, depending upon the project.

If you have any questions about the 'seminar' give me a yell or post here.

~ Ace

6. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

Mike- I would highly recommend attending a "Plunge Into the Water Garden Business" or one Aquascapes Build a Pond Days. Trust me you will get "bit" by the pond bug, I know I did!!! Even if you have to travel an hour away to a seminor or a BAP it is worth it:) I just looked at my "plunge" seminar shirt and Aquascapes has many locations to go to the seminar. What part of Ohio are you near? Let me know if I can help out at all, pics, etc.

Noah

7. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I do want to attend one of these sessions. They do look very interesting. I spent today though going around and checking out the different ponds and asking them how they were built and what all is involved. Really not as elusive as I though. Really quite simple. I have a customer who wants a waterfall built, and that already has a pond built. I am going to use it as a learning tool.

8. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

drsogr, here is the info I promised you.

Standard Build-A-Pond Days

April 18th
    Lilypads in Landscapes
    Topeka, KS
    1-2 People $99
    3+ People $89

Standard Build-A-Pondless Days

March 28th
    Lilypads in Landscapes
    Topeka, KS
    1-2 People $129
    3+ People $109

The pamphlet doesn't denote a year so I'm assuming ADI is handing out current materials at their Plunge seminars.

~ Ace

9. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Your a man of your word. I appreciate that. How did you like the plunge seminar. They are having one of them about 5 hours away. I thought about checking it out. I have plenty of time to travel in the off season!

I will definity be checking out one of the build a pond days in topeka. I wish more companies would work in the way aquascapes works. They tell you how to sell it, what to sell it for, how to market it, how to build it. Thats great.

Derek

10. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

anyone in N.E. Ohio i was at pondscape in Boardman today and they said they will be having a seminar in mid march