Would someone please explain the 4 90's?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bblawncare, Mar 2, 2008.

1. bblawncare

bblawncare LawnSite Member

Just trying to further my education....i do not quite comprehend the reason for using this method in repairs. And nothing would make my Sunday better than to understand this. (except maybe Ryan Newman winning the NASCAR race in Vegas) Thanks...
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The idea is to bridge a gap in a pipe, and also compensate for any misalignment, since it is not a given that the two ends being joined are aligned.
  3. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

to repair a break in a pipe without using a slip fix (which a lot of people don't like to use on a mainline). Basically you have two cut ends of a pipe, you want them at least 6" apart. Glue on a 90 pointing up, short piece of PVC, then a 90 pointing across the gap, a piece of PVC the right length to bridge the gap, then a 90 pointing down, another short piece of PVC, then the final 90 to connect to the other end of the break. Although I don't glue them on in that order.

And like Boots said, even if the two cut ends of the broken pipe don't line up, you can correct for that by adjusting the lengths of the various pieces of PVC and/or change the direction with the 90s.
  4. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

And sorry, I think today is Dale Jr's day.....
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

It's hardly ever a given that they'll line up...sproing!
    90s or 45s work fine.:)
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If he can avoid wrecking himself (& the rest of the field), homeboy Kyle
    Busch will take it, with Tony Stewart 2nd. Those two are a awesome
  7. You can make sure all joints are glued in correctly and aligned ..Try gluing in two couplings on a 3" main...You would need about 20tf of pipe on either side, if you tried bending in the couplings....
  8. proskier

proskier LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Not sure why you'd go through all the trouble. My time = money. I can put in that slip fix in about a 10th the time it takes to install the 4 90's. If its a cost thing, 4 90's versus the slip fix the 90's might be cheaper, but not after you factor in the time to install. The slip fix on the main line might move a bit, but I'll take the slight movement over the friction loss of 4 90's, not to mention every direction change in the pipe is weak point.
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've installed my share of slipfixes and I have seen a failure, but its rare.

I've dug up and replaced more compression fittings than slipfixes. I think the secret to any repair fitting is proper installation.

That said, I still think 4 90's is a better way to go, and cheaper if your working with big pipe. If I remember right, a 3" slipfix is around $50-$60, while materials for the 4 90 trick would be around $20.
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I endorse this statement.