Would something like this work ...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Zebop, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Zebop

Zebop LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a walk-behind dethatcher that would have much the same result as if I raked my lawn by hand each spring to remove the winter "dead stuff." Would something like this do the trick -

http://www.omygarden.com/index.php?menu=16&itemid=130

I don't own a riding mower, nor do I want to, so drag-behinds are not an option. I'm just looking for a way to eliminate the hard raking of my three-quarter acres each spring. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

3. Zebop

Zebop LawnSite Member

Hi, Bobcat:

No, not something fancy like that. I own a simple self-propelled Toro, the kind you can't add attachments to. That's the root of my problem - I have to either bust my back every spring raking or spend $1,000+ on a dethatcher walk-behind machine, which I'm not willing to do.

4. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

? you are or are not looking for a walk-behind dethatcher? your initial post says
    What Bobcat linked to is pretty cool. It would allow a ZTR or a walk behind mower or a tractor (with this tow behind unit). You could buy the cheapest used tractor and utilize it. I would think a dedicated walk-behind dethatcher (if it exists) would be fairly expensive.

Bobcat, do you think either the front or rear dethatcher from jrc would work on St. Augustine grass? It's so thick and the roots grow horizontally.

http://www.jrcoinc.com/dethatcherTB.html

5. Zebop

Zebop LawnSite Member

Advance:

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I'm looking for a dethatching rake similar to the one in the link I posted. What I don't want to do is buy a motorized walk-behind unit, which is what I was referring to cost upwards of $1,000.

I don't own a ZTR, so the various attachments for that option is out. I guess I could try to find a cheap tractor, but my property is hilly, one of the reasons I don't own one now (plus, I like to walk).

My options are limited, is what I'm finding out. I guess I was hoping someone would have used the manual unit (or something similar) in the link I posted and could tell me if it works or not.

6. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry no real experience with St. Augustine as I'm up in New England. I did read this from a post in turfgrass.com:
    ...Dethatching St Aug basically minces the plant. Since the runners are on top of the soil, they just get chopped up by the machine...

Zebop - I would then consider just renting a dethatcher or paying a landscaper. As you can get away with doing it once every couple of years. Money saved!!

7. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

Ahh, gotcha. Well if $100 isn't too steep - why not buy the one you referenced. It's 32" however. As I wrote this I thought in a different direction. 32" would take you all day. I'm with bobcat on this one. Go rent a commercial quality, gas engine dethatcher for 4 hours for probably $45 once a year.

Bobcat, thanks for the cross-post regarding St Augustine Grass. I suspected dethaching may not be an option b/c of the differnet characterics it has with the 'runners' growing horizontally.