would this be a good idea?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Surferbum21, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

I don't want to throw a skid spray in the bed of my truck b/c i use the bed when not attached to trailer all the time. I am buying a new tandem axle trailer (5000 lbs axles) and was thinking I could throw the sprayer at the front and put the mowers behind it. Good or bad idea? Or should I just have a seperate trailer? I've even given thought to buying another flatbed truck to throw it on and pull the trailer with that. But kinda against the idea of having two trucks right now until I get way bigger. My truck is pretty much my personal truck too!
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have known guys to slide the skid (with helpers )in and out as needed, you may consider that depending on how big the unit. i would not have it on the trailer all the time with mowers, just increases the chance of accidents and damage. could be real bad. or an small extra cheap trailers could be a good option as well. just my thoughts

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

If you put the sprayer say a 200 gallon sprayer in the nose of the trailer. That would be in excess of probably 2000 pounds. Water is just over 8 #'s/gallon. Plus fertilizer say 15 bags @ 750 #'s thats in your bed of the truck so your mowing equipment doesnt tear the bag's. Your bumper would be dragging the ground. I unloaded that sprayer I bought last night that you saw on craiglist and it's not a one man job. You'd rip your azz trying to load and unload alone. I'd put it on the trailer, and in two years your gunna quit mowing and all your gunna be doin is spraying anyway's.
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

IMO I would not want the cut and spray the same day. If I am spraying weeds I want several days growth on the lawn for better weed control. If I had a helper, I wouldn't want to pay him to sit while I sprayed after cutting. Therefore I would set up a separate trailer for spraying. The fact is, while I have a cab over spray truck I also have two different trailers with skid sprayers for special jobs. I find working out of a trailer is not all that different other than some minor parking problems.
  5. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Why does it always work out this way? I have heard this before from several other people... is the money in fert just that much better? Do you guys get to overwhelmed trying to do both?
  6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Less headache, less labor, more cash.
  7. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

hmmm....i'm wishing i woulda done this a long time ago then
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

they are both good though, we do both and our service area really demands it. if you do one or the other and not both, then you are not a big company here for the most part
  9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of mine keeps his on his trailer with his mowing equipment all summer. When he is spraying, he leaves the mowing stuff at home. When he is mowing, his tank is empty. He rigged up a cool hoist in his shed so he can "lift" the skid off his trailer by himself when ever he needs to.
  10. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never thought about a hoist. I guess I'm not the brightest! haha... Anybody could just buy a hoist for like $100 or so at harbor freight and rig it up. Then anytime you want to unload the sprayer just make places to hook a couple of straps to and hoist it out.