Would This Be A Good Setup???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FordManKubotaDreamer, Nov 5, 2005.

1. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

I am looking to get rid of some of my old equipment for next year. Some of it has just seen better days. Would this be a good setup.

2002 F-150 SuperCrew Fx4
    2002 16ft Flat Bed With Side And Rear Gate
    2005 Kubota ZG 23 With 54in Deck (Main)**
    2000 Huskee 2146 (Backup/ Hills)
    2003 LawnBoy 21"
    2005 Stihl Bg 85
    2005 Stihl Rx 100
    2005 Kombi With Edger And Trimmer**
    ** What I Don't Yet Have**:blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get a 3/4 ton truck, get rid of the Huskee and buy a commercial grade hydro walkbehind, and buy a separate trimmer and edger. I would not want to have one power head for two tools. Because if the power head goes down you cant use either tool. I would try to find a good dealer and buy most of your stuff from him. That is one reason why we run Scag and Stihl equipment.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see any reason to go to F250 ours uses a lot more gas than our F150.
    Don't need much power to pull around a small trailer.

4. FordManKubotaDreamer

I'm not going to be plowing and if I haul anything its on the trailer so I can't justify the F-250.

5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

If I did it all over again I would get a 1/4 truck. Get everything delivered. The job really doesn't pay that well if your making it all on delivery. For bush trimming and leaves and mulch ya it would be nice to have at least a 1/2 ton or 3/4 but to me its really not worth it.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i agree -get a seperate edger and trimmer. it gets old switching the ends and wears out the coupler quickly on some of them.also right if engine unit goes down -then thats 2 jobs that cant get done.

7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The 3/4 will last longer because they have larger engines,brakes and a tow command system. We use our 3/4 to cut grass, do some landscaping and apply pesticides. We started with a small truck but as you grow you will need a larger truck.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to mention compromise safety in terms of suspension and brakes.

3/4 tons are also typically geared lower and can be used to plow.

9. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

A landscaper that I used to work for used an f150 as his primary truck, it will work if your not doing any landscape work. But even pulling the trailor, the transmission on that truck was changed three times in two years. Pulling a trailor doesn't seem like much, but over time, it wears on the vehicle. I bought a 2004 f250 to start my business last year, and it has proven invaluable. But, I do landscape work as well as lawn. It does eat the gas however. Plus, if your doing snow removal (now or in the future) salt weighs a lot.

10. FordManKubotaDreamer

The truck wasn't my main focus, it will work for now. (Geared at 4.10 and has HD package) What do you think of for the equipment.