Would this be bad?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Ozz, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to get a couple of guys that run small landscape gigs to consolidate under 1 name because of the tanking economy... One guy does a lot of seeding and beds,stuff that you would think of when landscaping come to mind. One does stonework and concrete,and I do tree work and and looking to get into excavation.

So, am I off the wall with this,or is a good idea?

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

You might be better off the stay solo but team up for stuff maybe?

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Partnerships rarely work out. Wait for TSS to chime in about that.

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

the only ships that don't sail, partnerSHIPS. Stay solo, form an alliance, and make more money with less headaches. MY humble opinion.

5. esnipe8

esnipe8 LawnSite Senior Member

Dittos. Stay solo and be in control of your own destiny. Then just support your groups different trades. That is what I do. Then it also keeps you open to make changes down the road if their prices creep up to high, or do crappy work.

6. TRO

TRO LawnSite Member

I agree with YellowDogSVC, stay solo and form a network with others that provide services that you don't. This has worked great for me over the last 2 years.

7. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Its hard to fairly divide the revenue as usually some bring more to the table than others such as equipment. Then someone inevitably thinks they are doing more or someone is doing less.......good luck, but I say no go from the get go.

8. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag knows lol ! Dont do it. But do work very closely with them...

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You can form an agreement that you will work together on projects bringing in each others strengths. I do that with numerous contractors here. You can get all the benifits and few of the drawbacks of a partnership.

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the "no partnership", but team up idea. Look at it this way: More than 50% of marriages fail and fail miserably........why do you think a business partnership would be any different? I have done the partnership thing and it was an ugly, ugly thing.......Run!