1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would this be proper way to overseed this Fall?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ertb, Aug 27, 2009.

1. ertb

ertb LawnSite Member

I am trying to get lined up to do a proper overseed for my yard. Is this a good sequence, 1st mow as low as posible,2nd dethatch,3rd remove all debris, 4th aerate, and 5th starter fert. and grass seed. Is there a benefit to renting a overseeder? My yard is a 1.5 acres so it would kill me walking with a 20" overseeder. I have a account at Lesco and plan on using there Transition seed.
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

dethaching isn't necessary if you aerate, but, it will help ensure a good seed to soil contact.

Rarely do I see a yard that needs de-thatched. Only in newer lawn with major compaction issues. Usually if that's the case then a renovation is going to be the best bet for thatch.

Also, dethaching 1.5 acres is going to be way worse then using a power seeder.

Be careful about mowing as low as possible, you don't want to damage the existing turf by scalping it down. Find a happy medium.
  3. ertb

ertb LawnSite Member

I forgot to say that my dethatcher is one that is pulled behind the mower.
  4. White Gardens

If it's a tine de-thacher and not a power-rake, then you probably aren't going to get as good of results as you would with a power-rake.

If it's not to time consuming, then it couldn't hurt, but all you'll pull up is dead grass and clippings and not actual thatch.

Got any pics of the lawn ??
  5. ertb

ertb LawnSite Member

I will post some pics this evening.
  6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you thought of renting one of these?

7. ertb

ertb LawnSite Member

Here are pics you asked for.

8. greenskeeper79

greenskeeper79 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Your lawn looks pretty good from the distance of the camera.

I would mow at regular height (you already have a good stand of turf)

Aerify with largest tines possible.

Broadcast (via spreader) your selected grass seed.

5-4-5 Earthworks (or equivelant) fertilizer at 1lb/1000

Starter fert would make the existing turf grow crazy, detrimental to root system.
  9. White Gardens

I agree with Greenskeeper.

The lawn appears to have a good stand of grass, and only one issue I see off the porch/patio.

You should do yourself a favor and get some soil samples done. Go to your local extension and they will more than likely have a kit for you to send them off to a lab.
  10. ertb

ertb LawnSite Member

From the road my yard looks good,but when you walk through it is 50% smooth crabgrass. I was laid-off at the first of the year so I didn't put any pre-emergent out. With the rain this year I have paid dearly. Also I was thinking about doing all this the 3rd weekend of Sept. Would renting a over seeder be better then dethacthing?