1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

would this be wrong?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by miketina, Dec 29, 2006.

1. miketina

miketina LawnSite Member

Would it be wrong to solicit the competitions customers? I mean approach them and hand them our business card. Is this bad business? Just looking for some input.
  2. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I hand out my Business cards every time I go out to eat,gas stations etc,, Are you going to homes of your competition and handing them out mike? I haven't ever done that but I have ran an add in the paper and have got customers because they weren't happy with the previous LCO.
  3. miketina

miketina LawnSite Member

I was thinking about going to the homes that I noticed used a lawn service and try to sell myself. I would know right off the bat that they used a service. But I don't know if this would be right or wrong?
  4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Lets put it this way.....would it bother you if the competition found out where most of your clients lived and started soliciting them?

It's one thing to solicit a whole neighborhood but it's another to specifically solicit another companies clients.

It comes down to a moral issue and I personally wouldn't target my competitors clientele. I wouldn't have a problem targeting a neighborhood where other LCO's are known to work, but I wouldn't specifically go after their clients without blanketing the whole neighborhood with business cards or fliers.

On the other hand if you're providing your clients with a decent service at a reasonable price they shouldn't have any reason to change to a competiting company.
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I would probably do it. Reason is it is dog eat dog out there. I have had several new buys start up in the last 3 yrs. 1 guys is now out. Anyway - all these guys approached our commercial cliential - most stayed with us but there were a few that jumped ship to save a few bucks. Another guy approached a large condo we do - full days worth of work - 3 guys. He now as that. It makes me re-think some of my ethics regarding business but anymore - were all hungry and try to keep the plate full.
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Wells, it may be dog eat dog out there but I have never and will never do that. I do advertise and solicit neighborhoods but I think going after someone elses customers is wrong ....... how would you like it. If you want to get a bad business rep among your peers then go ahead and see what happens to you.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have had that done to me before and I didn't like it very much but I still won't go down to there level. I sign everyone to a contract, if they want to break it all they have to do is pay me the difference. Nothing like getting paid for not working.
  8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If you're going to do it, do us all a favor & don't do it right in front of us. I had a dummy do that to me this past season. He got an earful from me!!!
  9. LemkeLawns

LemkeLawns LawnSite Member

I wouldnt do it to residential, but commercial? If you can provide a superior service why not drop off a proposal? If the prospect isnt satisfied with their srvice and has another option that they would be happier with they would change. A good LCO can tell when a prospect isnt getting good service, if you see different crews there year after year or standards lower than yours, what is there to lose? Its also a way to have your name on "THE LIST." If a crew went out of business would the prospect be high and dry or have one of your cards and give you a call to replace the previous LCO? I dont think of it as taking away business from a LCO but providing assurance that if they need a new service provider that they will have one. Dont be a cut throat but an alternative.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

what goes around comes around, is the way I look at it. Mess with us, and eventually it all comes back around to bite you in the butt.

like wells said, it's one thing to solicit a specific neighborhood, but to just go up to certain houses that you know another company is servicing, is not something I would personally do. I'm referring to residential work, not commercial work.