Would this be wrong?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Walk up to an account after another LCO has finished.. and tell the homeowner that I can do a better job for less $$$?

Just Kidding :D

Seriously now.. I watched this LCO do a mow, blow and go... Cut way too short, left clippings lay on turf, no edging, etc... It's filled with weeds too.

No professional image what-so-ever.. no shirts.. scruffy looking...

This is a nice neighborhood.

After they left I felt like knocking on the homeowners door and asking if they feel they are getting their monies worth (if they were happy). I just want to give 'em my card and tell them to take a walk around the corner and see my work.. Tell them they won't need an address.. they'll know it when they see it :D

I asked my wife and she didn't think it was a good idea.. She said what if someone did it to you? I said but I do a great job! She said.. maybe they think they are too.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with you, Tom.

3. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i had this happen to me just the other day.. one of my customers said a lco came up to her door and had already decided what her lawn was worth, pointed out all the errors he could find and told her what he'd charge... so the next time i showed up my customer tells me that she's going to hire someone else if i can't beat his price... btw the errors that this guy pointed out were things that she had not desired me to do previous to him coming along, and some things that she told me to do despite my telling her that her way wasn't right...anyhow i recalculated her property with doing what this other lco claimed he would do and my price was higher. i called her up and left the price on her answering machine and haven't heard back yet.. that was monday. so i don't know yet if i've lost that one or not.. oh well no big whoop...

4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't have even questioned it. :D

This is business not a LCO popularity contest. Life is short GO GET IT! ;)

5. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

That's how I got my first commercial acct. The guy would leave clippings and never edged. I charged $80 more than what he did it for. But I lost that acct. this year to a guy who cut my price in half.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have heard twice this week on pricing "can you help me out a little", wonder why people think we are here to "help" them with their finances? I'm there to help with their lawn, that it. Wonder if these people call the phone company and ask for help?

7. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Tom, I'm in agreement with your wife.It is not professional to dump on your competition. I would refuse to bad mouth someone even if asked by the customer. That sort of thing will come back to bite you.

Let your work speak for you. Ask your "nice lawn" homeowner if he knows the guy with the bad cut. Maybe use the "nice lawn" as a reference when you put out flyers.

Sorry for the speech, but professionalism and image are important.

8. Tom_B

Tom_B LawnSite Member

Gladly that wont happen to me,I cut the lawn as good as i can but all the laws i mow are crappy they are full of dead spots and dirt with so many bumps that theres no way the Mower wont cut in some and if somebody tells them they can do it better well maby they can but they cant beat my price it just wouldnt be worth there time.

Anyway theres no way ill charge high price for these lawns because theres no way the lawns will look good untill they see a LandScaper and get them bumps fixed. But in the Neighborhood i live in there arent any good looking lawns anyway.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the only problem i have with it was said before. lot o times the customers trying to be the expert an tell the lco how to do his job. just a little of this and i tellum ,ive been doing this a while and know what im doing . then if they want to change ,ill live with it.
    can u imagine standing there telling a mechanic how to fix your car. not.
    also makes me think of the reason for many affairs..
    grass always looks greener over there ,if u get my drift.
    then u find out new ones uglier than the first ,first thing in the morning. and twice as mean.
    should u call on homeowners that u can improve ,yes,as long as u realize why they may not be up to par.

10. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Most people want good service. went to one yard that had just been done clippings everywhere a.d it had not been blown. offered better service and got the job. costomer told me later the other guy only charged $10 i bid $60.