Would This Make You Feel Bad???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gatewayuser, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a chance to get many commercial contracts enough to keep 2 crews busy 4 days a week. Heres my dilemma if I take these jobs it would severely hurt a another lawn company to the point of going out of business, would that make you feel bad to think that you took the food off of someones table? If I get them do you think I better watch behind me all the time?

2. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

if you are getting them legitimatly (sp?) and not cutting his price or he is a friend of yours, i would go ahead and do it... look at it the other way, if he had his shot, would he be asking him self the same question? If you dont even know him and are submitting a fair bid, i would go for it.

3. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Ask yourself how you would feel if the situation were reversed. This country has turned into all about money money money money money money money. Seems that is all anyone thinks about anymore in this country. Then it is justified by certain idealogical principals such as "business is business". YOu already know what is right in your heart, i suspect you are hoping for someone to tell you what you want to hear.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

DIDO! If it's all legit and if you had no "inside help" the I wouldn't feel bad. "Business is Business".

5. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

once you get the contracts, can you offer him the chance to buy at least a few off of him? ive heard some pretty crazy stories about what some people have done, stealing equipment, slashing tires etc...

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope not a bit, thats the nature of the beast when in business for yourself. Given the opportunity to gain business in an honest manner I never turn it down, granddad always said opportunity will only knock once, well I always try and throw the door open and welcome it.
    As far as watching out behind you all the time, well you ought to be doing that regardless, because about the time you stop thinking of your competition and believe you are the best and only game in town, your competition will be looking behind.... at you.
    This isn't to say that I don't cooperate or help a fellow green industry fella out or they help me, we do, we just don't give anything away when it comes to market share, we all want the same thing in the end, growth and profits.

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Business is business. In the real business world it's cut-throat, but not on a forum where everyone wants to be the good guy. People in big business realize what it's all about, the bottom line, and are willing to do whatever it takes to achieve it. So be careful of your so called friends, because when it comes down to either you or them...you're taking the dive. Keep in mind that if you're willing to pass up opportunities there's always somebody willing to step up to the plate to capitalize.

8. Mike_NTx

Mike_NTx LawnSite Member

If you win the bid fairly, then I wouldn't worry about it. People win and lose contracts all of the time.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So long it isn't along the lines of another thread where some guy pulled a dirty trick to undercut another lco, I see nothing wrong with it.

Besides, your bid still has to be approved right, turn it in and see what happens.

If it's pre-approved (meaning you have an inside connection), then I don't know what to tell you...
    But I didn't gather this from what you said, only you would know the answer here.

So:
    Is it a clean deal? Do it !
    Is it dirty? Slow down :)

And no, you turning in a bid that you know is lower than your competitors isn't a factor in and of itself that would make this dirty.
    If you got a heads up, that's cool - If you got pre-approved, that may not be.

10. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Business is business and as long as you are conducting yours in an honorable fashion I wouldnt worry to much about others.