would this mower be worth buying?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jul 24, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i saw a craftsman zero turn rider for $2699. do you think it can handle the commercial abuse?
    20 hp Kohler Courage Pro with 44 in. mower
    Engine has full-pressure oil-lubrication and spin-on oil filter
    Electric start - 340 CCA DieHard Battery
    3-blade mower provides a manicured cut, infinite height of cut
    Electric PTO for longer life
    360 degree, zero turning radius design for steering in any direction
    Dual hydrostatic transmissions for power and reliability
    Comfortable seat with adjustable padded armrests
    3.25 gallon gas tank for long uninterrupted periods of mowing
    Turf-friendly 18 in. drive tires for maximum traction

2. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO Craftsman dosn't make anything that can stand up to commercial use. :dizzy:

3. lawnwizards

including their tools? give me some info, not an opinion. have you used anything craftsman?

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I don't know about that particular mower, but it might work (for awhile) assuming you are the only one using it (employees could probably destroy it quickly) and take it easy with it.

5. Quikcut

Quikcut LawnSite Member

How steurdy is the deck. Commercial decks are built like a tank which is a major difference between commercial and and the consumer stuff. If it doesn't have a commercial grade deck I doubt if it could stand commercial abuse especially if you have employees.

6. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

that is a residential grade ztr. it will hold up no longer in the commercial sector than a craftsmen lawn tractor. as far as craftsmen tools thet are some of the best sure but nothing in the lawn and garden sector of craftsmen is built or designed for commercial use on a daily basis. not trying to discourage from sears and roebuck they defiantly have there place but i had a craftsmen weedwhacker 10 years ago and it lasted 2 months. as far as that kohler courage its a good engine but not designed for commercial/industrial applications. if you are capable stay away from the masses; ie mass merchandisers. that seems to be the thinking/philosophy direction this country is going. the independent who offers service after the sale is getting hurt by this wave of giants; home depot lowes walmart etc who are thru with you after they get your money basically.

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a difference between equipment made to use 1 hour per week for 20 weeks vs. equipment made to 25 - 35 hours per week for 20 weeks.

8. lawnwizards

example: if this mower only lasts 2 years @2700. thats 1350 per year. in order for an exmark to do the same it would have to last atleast 6 years at its going price... give or take a little... so, in perspective. is it better to go with cheap equipment every couple of years or buy better equipment and hope it lasts aslong as it should..?

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You have a point the resale value is higher on comm equipment,what about downtime what's it worth not to be broke down.

10. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

well from a numbers stand point thats one way to look at it. but i guarantee a week downtime with craftsmen; ask them for a loaner............. i just don't think the design of the equipment is meant to go from one yard to the other and hold up. they will also void the warranty on the craftsmen if it is used in a commercial type setting. i would defiantly look at the entry level hustler or maybe a good w.b before i ventured into sears