Would this tick you off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dpullen4, May 7, 2005.

1. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I bought a ZTR today and inquired about purchasing the mulch kit. I asked if I bought it if they'd just slap it on there for me por nada. He was going to charge me $25. I could understand if I just showed up off the street, but I just spent a pretty good amount of money and can't hook me up with a free install.
  2. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Don't know what mower you bought, but on some machines installing a mulch kit for $25 is a good deal
  3. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

He said it would only take 1/2 hour to install and their hourly rate is $52/hour. My point is that it's not like he was cutting me any kind of a deal. If I just showed up off the street with my mower, I'd say charge me a full hour. For someone that just shelled out $3,500, install the mulch kitas a way to go above and beyond to really satisfy a customer.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got a $7000 ZTR unit and the kit was not installed. After installing mine I realized why they didn't do it...it was hell!! You may be better off putting it in yourself so you know it is correct.
  5. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

If it's hell, why would I want to go through the hassle for $25 to change 3 blades and add a deck plate? Odds are pretty good that they have more experience doing it than I do. :)
  6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I HATE messing with the mulch kits. In fact, I finally took them off & left them off. SPOILING CUSTOMER & taking too much time mulching in the SPRING in INDY.

It take 1/2 an hour if you've DONE IT BEFORE & HAVE ALL PROPER EQUIP HANDY. Otherwise, plan on an hour & scraping your knuckles a few times!

I see YOUR POINT (service above & beyond) and I see DEALER'S POINT (he needs to charge for his (worker's) labor.

An INDY area shop with 3 locations recently went out of biz. Story I heard was he wasn't charging enough for his mowers to float his overhead (a LOW BALLING DEALER????).

7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

The way you LCO guys think we should just give you the mowers at our cost or you ain't buying (I believe this is the Wal-Mart syndrome) doesn't make that story sound too far off.
  8. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

If a customer asked you to trim up their shrubs for free because thy're paying you a lot of money to mow their lawn would you do it? Its the same concept.
  9. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Should you expect a full tank of gas rather than not even being able to see any gas at all?
  10. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

If you paid nearly full price on the mower and the dealer also charged you full price for the discharge chute, then, yes, he should have installed it for free. If you got a great deal on the mower and he gave you something off on the mulch kit I would say that 25 for the install was fairly reasonable. Just my 2 cents