1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would this Troy built be a good starter?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

It's much cheaper than some of the other ones, for instance a Toro 36" wb costs 3 grand canadian. This one is 33" troy built and 1800 CAD plus 14 fricken percent in taxes:confused:
    NEW TROYBILT wide cut mower, 9 hp B&S I/C engine, 33 inch cut mower, self propelled, baggger avail. $1799.00 Call the TRACTORMAN

I'm assuming tractors like this are practically useless for residential lawn care companies.
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

A couple of things. It will work fine. I have one and I am actually selling it right now. Not because it doesn't work well, but because I do not use it. It leaves a nice cut. However, it is not as powerful as other commercial mowers, the operator awareness lever can start cramping your hand after heavy use, and it is slower than most other commercial units. The flip side is that it is faster than most non commercial push/walkbehind mowers, it is more powerful than most non commercial, and cuts better then most non commercial. I know of another company uses one and they love it. I personal think that you will be fine with it. However, if you can spare an extra few bucks I think that you would be happier with a 36" (Exmark, Scag, Bobcat, etc, etc, etc.). Stronger machines, faster, more productive, and more efficient. If not the Troybilt should be fine. JMO.
  3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Not really:weightlifter:

Utility Deck Installation 020.jpg
  4. Freddy_Kruger

Excellent post.:clapping: I'm gonna copy/paste that to file away.

I need to re-read good advice over and over till it sinks in.:dizzy:
  5. Freddy_Kruger

I was looking up a 36" exmark it weighs 412 lbs and it got me thinking do need a trailer or can you manage to go up a ramp into a half truck?
  6. chevytrucks84

chevytrucks84 LawnSite Member

That troy built is the same mower that i had mentioned in your previous post. It will be fine but good points above about your left hand cramping on the operator present lever. I plan on getting one next year as my smaller mower when i start mowing on my own.
  7. Freddy_Kruger

Do you think a 36" mower would have trouble getting to ppls backyards through the gate? It would fit through my gates but I made them myself..
  8. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Only a tape measure will tell...
  9. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I had one about 8 yrs ago. It got me started. Then I sold it because it is not really meant for day to day action. Needed alot of maintenance. But then again, I cant run pistol grips anymore because of CT
  10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

What he said!:drinkup: