would this upset you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 18, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have a client, he owns 2 homes, i do them myself, on sunday. for 5-6 yrs, i've been doing his-grasscutting, shrub trimming, and fall leaves. he asked for a price last year on landscaping for one of the houses. i quoted it. he said too much$$$. fine. TODAY, i go to mow, the entire place has been landscaped. it was easily 6-8 grand worth of work (my prices). he hired someone else to do it. it looks like crap, but, oh well. does this end the relationship? my initial instinct was to knock on the door, and lay into him. i stopped, took a deep breath and said, "hey, i'm getting $40 a week to mow the lawn, it takes me less than 25 minutes solo. this shouldn't change anything." then, i shot grass clippings into his new mulch when i cut the grass, forgot to blow off the sidewalks, skipped the weedwacking, and went on my way. how does him hiring out effect your relationship? or does it, at all?
  2. mike48114

mike48114 LawnSite Member

Unless this guy is your brother or cousin, let it go. Business is business! This guy made a business decision, so dont take it personal. Why loose the business he is giving you as a result of something he did not give you? Ask yourself why he did not give you the landscaping. What can you do next time to better your chances of landing the landscape project for a mowing customer? Take Care!
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

No BooBy it wouldn't. He gave you a shot and you couldn't sell him.

But Knowing how up tight and insecure you are. I would suggest you quit him before you bring out the Shovel at some later date.
  4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, now you are seeing the forest, in spite of the trees. The guy gave you a chance to bid. He obviously got someone else to do the work for less money, even if it isn't the same quality as yours.

You are still making money mowing for him, and have in the past, so what has changed? If you were a mowing operation only, and didn't offer landscaping services, you'd be as happy as a pig in feces. So, what's the difference?

The only thing I'd do different, is I WOULDN'T blow clippings in the mulch bed, and I WOUlDN'T skip trimming. In fact, I'd probably have taken extra care when doing so, because, obviously, you are expendable. If he can find another landscaper, I've no doubt he can find another weedwhacker also.
  5. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

I guess you'll find out when he hires himself a new lawn boy ;)
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Yes you are expendable ! And he just showed you how fast he will replace you when he can get a cheaper price. I see the writing on the wall now.
  7. git er done landscaping

git er done landscaping LawnSite Member

bob. me thinks the "other guy's" work looks like crap only in your eyes because you didnt do it. obviously the home owner is happy with it. so just mow and be happy.
  8. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, he's a consumer, he's got a right to shop around and find the best deal. If its a crappy job, so what. That doesn't concern you.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is funny but it happens to me on a regular if not too frequent basis, a customer hires someone else to do something, sometimes they never even bother to ask me. The ONLY time it pisses me off fairly for sure is when they already agreed to have me do it THEN they get someone else...
    But ultimately this is their choice and decision, they are under NO obligation to do anything different BUT I have noticed my own frustration tends to be higher when I'm barely getting paid for the grass-cutting AND my frustration tends to be fairly nil when the grass-cutting is profitable... Weird, but I've taken this in and made a note to myself so that now when it happens AND I feel frustrated, it is likely a sign to me that the price I get for my work is LIKELY too low (and usually, it is, as I'm finding out).
    Far as whether the price of the grass-cut has anything to do with them calling someone else or not, I find it's about 50-50, despite a low price OR a high price on the grass-cutting, some do it and some don't.
    Yeah, so price the grass-cutting right and it frustrates me a lot less when they do it :)

Far as doing a shoddy job, man I try REAL hard not to take out my anger on a customer... Sometimes I'm so mad I just keep right on driving then come back 3-4 days later after I'm cooled off... Thing is, I never believed in running equipment out of spite, that to me always seems like such a waste to take out my anger while wasting fuel and possibly damaging the equipment, nevermind their yard, and nothing is learned here, nothing will change, they don't SEE your message and IF they do, omg... This is one instance where I wouldn't blame someone for suing.
    Now if it makes me real mad and I'm still too hot 3-4 days later, then it can happen I just never return and the job doesn't get done... Sucks but at least there's not that problem of trying to get PAID for nothing, too.
    Thou I will say I am glad guys like you exist because every once in a blue moon I get a customer who had an Lco do what you did, and this is a warning sign of a possible pita (thou, to be sure, it could also be a hothead Lco).
  10. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Even you would go with someone else on something if it were $1000.00 or even $500.00 less. If you're talking $7,000, $500.00 - $1000.00 would make a big enough difference in price. You may have someone lay carpet in your house and they charge a reasonable price. Now say you want to tile your kitchen and it will be $2100.00 from the carpet layers and $1750.00 from the tile business (i dunno). I think you will go with the tile business unless you have a real good relationship with the carpet people. It's not like you fix his car and installed his windows. You just mow his yard. You're being somewhat of a dick about it, but he should have talked with you before hand. Still, $40.00 in 25 minutes, why would you drop in and do less work. It must take you about 5 or 6 minutes to do trimming and blowing. Wait, what about edging?