Would this used SCAG be a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mloolara, Feb 13, 2005.

1. mloolara

mloolara LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a ZTR mower, and since I live in Louisiana and many commercial lawn businesses I have spoken to like them, SCAG is probably my best fit also, especially due to our climate and often wet conditions. I am trying to get the most bang for my bucks, like most of us working class people, and with the increase in prices due to steel and fuel (shipping) prices, I have been looking for a good used mower instead of breaking the bank for a new SCAG. I have an opportunity to purchase a SCAG Model STT52A 23 CH- the 52 inch Turf Tiger with a 23 HP Kohler. It has 700 hours on it. It comes with the mulching kit, new mulching blades, extra set of new regular blades, new belts, new rear tires. The asking price for the mower is $5,000. The person who is selling this mower purchased the mower last year from an authorized dealer in Baton Rouge for $6,500 and all preventative maintenance has been performed on the mower. There had been a problem with the fuel system so a new carburetor was installed. They also changed out the fuel line and put in a new ignition coil. I ran it today and it cranked up with no problems and is in excellant shape. By the way, the current owner put 200 hours on it over the last year. There is no warranty left on this mower. Does this sound like a good deal? Any and all comments are welcomed. Thank you in advance!

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

My 2 cents it is more than i would pay.

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't pay more than $4000 for that mower. The mower has no warranty left, and be sure to look the mower over carefully. Check the engine oil and hydraulic fluid to see if it is clean. Inspect the deck and make sure there is no deck problems, crank the machine and when you engage the blade listen for rattling and make sure they engage strong with no hesitation. Take it for a test drive and check the steering leaving to see if they are responsive. Check the belts and make sure they are new with no cracks or splits in them and look under the unit when the engine is running and make sure they is no stuck pulleys . Looking at these things and the overall appearance of the machine you should be able to tell if it was well taken care of.

4. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's worth about $3500.00. With the problems and no warranty. Plus the fact that it's the 23HP Tiger. If you're gonna drop $5000 make a down payment on a 48" Tiger Cub and you'll get the warranty. Plus if you only have one mower a little smaller unit will suit you better. You can get the 20/48" Cub for $6499. But if he'll sell you the Tiger for $3500, you may have a deal.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would probibly give $4000 for the machine. $4250 at the very most.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

For every hour on the machine deduct 5 bucks, $3500 no warranty go 500 to 2500 bucks,let's say 1500 - $5000 this is just my 2 cents,i have been in this biz i have learned buy what you want the first time.