would this work for cutting high???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

i currently (on my scag fixed deck w/b) cut most all of my yards w/ three or four spacers on the bottom of the stack. i have this one yard ai get paid 30 just to mow it, but its mowing it every other week and it grows really high, so it looks really bad when i get done, and i've had other occasions where i'd like to cut really high....how would the mower cut (any different?) if i were to take some spacers OUT on the blades to raise the height there, and then start cutting my yards on maybe the height with 2 spcaers on bottom and 2 on top of the wheel, or maybee even 1 on the bottom and 3 on the top, THEN i could raise it all the way up for those really high yards and it would be higher than it is now....
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I can't say if it will be better or not, but the best thing to do is to try it. I have experimented with a lot of different things which is what makes this job a little bit more interesting. Anything to make the job easier. :)
  3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like the higher I cut, the worse the deck cuts ??

Maybe thats why there's so many indians 'round here scalping the yards!
  4. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

do you have blowout with all those spacers?
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Am I missing something here??? :confused:

Thats how we adjust our cutting height on our hydros. We have the engine platform mounted to the decks in the higher holes, and use either two or three spacers on the blade spindle to acheive the desired height for cutting.

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag: Are you talking about the spacers on the front caster wheels or the blade spacers? If you are talking about the caster wheel spacers, this will change the pitch of your deck and not the height of cut since the rear of your deck will still be the same height. If you're talking the blade spacers...then yes...this is how you change the height of cut. I am presently running two on bottom with three on top. The mounting bolts allow you to go to even higher, but it is such a pain in the arse, I leave them in the middle (except with last years rains I moved them to the top.)

Hope this helped.
  7. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

How high is high. The higher you cut the worse the job will be. You will find a less even cut and alot of straglers left behind. This does vary from one deck design to another but generally it is a vaccum problem. Most decks require the ground to maintain a portion of the vaccum which in turn gives you a nice level well cut lawn. Stick around 3" and your work will look alot nicer longer throughout the week. Hope this helps.

8. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

you cut every other week .you will have to dbl cut and then some i dont like those kind of jobs.