Would this work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dashunde, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I just had the idea of using a spent circular saw blade on my edger while doing over-growth.

We all hate edging over-growth, what with the nasty sod snakes and the general mess it makes and the time it takes.

So I got to wondering if a smaller toothed saw blade on a stick edger might zip right through the dirt better?

Anyone tried it?

Either way, I'm buying the first garage sale 4-5hp Brigs unit I come across for doing over-growth.
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I thikn the teeth woudl stil be too close together to do much good....they make a + shaped edger blade....
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I have a brush cutter blade that is labeled for use as a brush cutter and as a circular saw blade, so I'd say your circular saw blade should be able to work assuming it's the right size.
  4. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

Don't use a carbide tip saw blade.
  5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

I just can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to try to use a blade rated for a max of 3,600 rpms in an application requiring a 10,000 rpm blade. Spend some quality time with your equipment manuals or to be blunt RTFM.

The blades with 80 teeth are much safer than the blades with just a few. An 80 tooth blade will slice thru a 2" oak in one swipe but will be rendered useless in less than a minute if used like a saw blade. Strange things happen to a saw toothed blade at 10,000 rpms. It will over heat, turn blue and be useless if used like a saw. My preference is the blades that are stamped to look a lot like chain saw teeth, can be used slowly like a saw, will not overheat if uses sensibly and can be sharpened with a 7/32 file.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

thats just doesnt seem like a good idea lol. I use the cross shaped blades n my walk behind and it slices a nice deep edge thru the thickest crap pretty easily. sometimes you gotta hit it with a shovel a bit to clean up the overhang you cut off but works very well. Then its super easy to maintain withthe stick edger.
  7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

forgot that the end by the street needed edging, I didn't have my edger so I turned the clearing saw with blade on its side and it did a really nice job, easy to control too. It had not been edged in over a year so it was thick and rough but the blade and machine made easy work of it.