1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

would u let him pay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 31, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

went out working today. sunday, everybody home from work, not much parking available. so, i park down the street, bring the blower, wacker, mower, and sprayer etc put it all on the front lawn. have to do a cleanup, weeding, mow, spray. after talkin to the guy, he says he is leaving for the day. he jumps in his car and drives off. the other car is parked in the driveway. well,i do some wacking, then put the wacker down in the driveway, right behind the remaining car. i know no body is home, so im not worried. i go to the back yard to do something. in the meantime, the man comes back home, decided he wanted to switch cars. you guessed it, he backed right over my new wacker. he gets out, its gone, smashed. he says send a bill for a new one. would you?
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i dont think i would make him pay. it may be a costly mistake but i always put my equipment in one of the beds or under a tree, never in a driveway or entryway where someone might trip. but it is extremely nice for him to offer to pay for it. if he ran over it in the lawn that might be another story. imo.
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

No, I wouldn't bill the client.

If I assumed that a parked car would not be moved and I placed a piece of equipment behind it...well.............my bad on BOTH counts (for assuming the car would not be moved, and for placing the equipment in a unsafe place).

Just my opinion.
  4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

So he walks up the drive steps over your whacker and gets in the car and backs over it and your working on a Sunday????
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

that is correct. im a poor ------- like the rest of you now, i work everyday i have work to do.
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be embarrassed to let him pay.
  7. bobbygedd

from NJ

mind you i didnt say, "make him pay." i said, "let him pay." i said dont worry about it, he kept insisting. my mind was made up already, just curious to what u guys would do.
  8. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

So you left it on the driveway while you we're in the back yard...hhmm....if he wouldn't have ran over it, someone would have stolen it, and you can't hold a client responsible for stolen equipment...either way, you left it somewhere you shouldn't have...
  9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

bobby... bad place to set your trimmer ..you know that already. Don't send him the bill... if he really wants to buy you a trimmer, let him go out aqnd get you one.
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

yo yo, wait a minute. i cant carry everything on my back when i go the back yard for a minute. and it wasnt a bad place to put it. i was under the impression the car wouldnt be moving, and why not? he said he was goin for the day. but, accidents do happen, im not about send him the bill. quite frankly, next landscape job will get priced $250 over what it should be. simple enough