1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

would you advise?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 11, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the company i left to pursue my lawn business full time, is closing down. a coworker from there, has contacted me, and told me within 3 months, he will be unemployed. he lives in my town, and very close to me. he asked about working for me. i said flat out no. for various reasons. he then asked that if he wanted to start his own lawn business, would i help him get started (advice wise), show him the ropes, etc. i said flat out no, for various reasons. if you were in my shoes, what would you do?
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I think you've covered it.
  3. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Is the former coworker a friend? If yes and I needed a helper I would hire him, and again if he is a friend and wanted advice on starting his own lco I would also help......... However if he in turn took just one of my accounts after being show the ropes there would be a serious thumping coming his way :gunsfirin
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Close? Yes, I would help...I remember once in my life a gazillion years ago about to being unemployed. Not fun.
  5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

if he is a true friend i would hire him ,he might end up being the best worker you ever had.but at the same time i would make him sign the best drown up
    no compete clause contract you can get, just to protect you self in the future . beside just think of all the great service you would be doing for the great state of n.j. by keeping another lost soul off the welfare line and collecting all your hard earned tax money
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

How big of a pay cut would this guy be taking working for you Bobby? Yea I know he will be out a job soon but that whole pride thing is tuff I once had to take a massive pay cut I was out of a job and had to take what I could get as fast as I could go from 15.50 to 7.00 and talk to me about pain. That did not last long the funny thing was the low pay job was in my so called trade from trades school the high paying one was stocking shelves.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

he is unemployable, as far as i'm concerned. he currently makes $30 an hour. i'd go $12 to start, but i won't even waste my time, because, as soon as he finds something in his field for $20-$30, he'd be gone. and i won't help him start his own lawn service. the guy lives about a half mile from me. do i feel sorry for him? hmmm, let me think.....when i left that company, i risked not making it, and that's the risk i took. if i fell flat on my face, not one of those guys would have helped me out. well guess what, he made his bed, he chose his field, he will now deal with reaping what he sowed

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

let him swing in the wind bobby
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well Bobby, I think the difference here is that you chose to leave of your own accord.
    This guy is being forced out of a job. A $30 per hour job at that. That's gotta hurt.

You say he is not employable. I don't doubt that. So no I wouldn't hire him, especially if I figured he would go back to work in his old field.

However, would I work him a little bit in the "extra" season? Yeah I would, and if I didn't want him to venture into lawn care I'd make sure I worked that idea out of him.

Would I give the guy advice about starting up nearby? Yes I probably would if I thought he could cut it. I'd rather help someone else be successful than have an arch-enemy scrub to contend with. IF I didn't think he could cut it, I would tactfully tell him so and try to discourage him from trying, as well as offer up some other suggestions to his delima.

We all gotta eat.
  10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member