1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you agree with this statement...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Nov 27, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

"A walk-behind is more versatile than a ZTR"

I am thinking this because:

They are a little better on hills.

Don't leave as deep of ruts on wet ground.

With the right sulky you can walk, stand/ride or sit/ride.

Am I missing any pros or cons from either side?

Thank you,

Joel B.
  2. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Evening Joel,

Got both & the Z is better all around than my WB for the following reasons (IMHO):

1. Turning and thus production is better on a Z.

2. From time to time the deck will flip up and not mow, Z's won't.

3. WB are harder on your body! At the end of the day I have energy reserves I don't have when I've been on my WB all day.

Now for the final point- A Wright Stander is all around better than a seated Z! I'll refer to numerous posts I submitted over the past year on why I'm sold on my Stander.

Don't get me wrong- in some environments the WB kicks butt. Nothing beats it for low price, ease of service, gated areas, steep dangerous slopes.

But for pure production, especially on large grass areas the way to go is a Wright Stander!

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I think I would agree with the versatility statement as long as you're doing lawns 1 acre or less. Anything more and I beleive a ZTR is probably better. Opinions will vary on this definately though. I dont' think that a ZTR ruts worse than a W/B because although it's heavier it has alot bigger, wider tires so it distributes the weight, thus almost same ground PSI pressure. A Caterpiller Challenger tracked farm/industrial tractor has ( I think) around 2 lbs/sq in. Thats not much for something of that size! I know it has tracks but think how heavy that must be. If you can dig up specs for W/B and ZTR with same size deck (both hydro, floating deck) I think you'll find the PSI's closer than you think.
    I would agree with the w/b's being safer on hills, but due to recent debates not neccessarily better just safer maybe. I would feel more confident with a w/b anyway. I've never used a sitdown sulky but a stand on 2 wheeled one works very well and I would say you can go alot faster with one than w/o and not get tired either. With the money savings and probably same effeciency on smaller lawns I would say a w/b is more versatile. The only problem being that you don't have as good of options for catchers. I have an idea to solve this problem but can't tell you what it is and it might not be out on the market for a while if at all.

Ok guys I know you'll disagree with me so argue away!!!!

:dizzy: :blob4: JMHO
  4. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

I have been considering a new WB simply because the scalping wheels on my 52"Z constantly did into the ground when I am turning around and after a season adjusting them to different positions I am looking towards WB as a way to minimize the gouge marks.
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well just finished my first year with a Z...also have a beat to death old walk behind....I'm not new to landwork, but I am to commercial mowers.so take ny comments with a grain of salt..so to pointedly answer your question, the w/b is clearly more "versatile"....the question you asked.

THe Z is an awesome money maker....but only on the right properties....if you are starting out, and you dont think you will have allot of greater than 1 acre properties....I would recommend the w/b....the Z does have its shortcomings....they are heavy, touchy about rutting/gouging as mentione above and dont like slopes...but I think to be successful AND productive, both mowers need to be in your arsenal when/if you can afford it....and the Z gives you another added advantage....you can buy a darn effective vacuum system that will make you even more money....another use for the Z which has saved my old body and made a number of mulch or stone jobs far more profitable is attaching a 15 or 20 cu ft dump cart and towing your materials to the work area....we dont mention this advantage too often here but it works very well...Well I gave you double talk I know...at least you have the pros and cons from some of us....again keep in mind I am not a veteran of commercial mowers.....I just know what I have seen/experienced in the past 24 months