1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you attack this hill?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the steepest hills you guys attack?

shot from street.jpg
  2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Most hills dont look as bad untill you stand on them.....then they are intimidating.

standing at the top looking down.jpg
  3. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

someone has to mow those steep hills. a guy I used to work for had a 4X4 72" out front Kubota that would go anywhere if you had the B***S to go on it. I have seen on hustlers web site they have a mower for hills that looks like it would mow some steep ones
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think I would have any problem with our Ferris DD Hydros. May not be able to use the velke though.
  5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I can't stand mowing hills. I don't take on any more new properties with steep hills. That one you got looks steep even on the pic.
  6. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I would do it but the price tag wouldn't be pretty. I do one now that's at least that steep but not nearly that big, so far so good.
  7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We have a hill similar to that, and the belt drives work fine, you just have to (obviously) go across the hill. The ***** is when you finish and you have to go back up the hill! We also don't use riders on hills like that for safety reasons.

Depending on the layout, sometimes it is a little easier (especially at the end) if you start at the bottom and work your way up, so that you finish at the top.

There is a good chance there are going to be skid marks somewhere on the hill, either from braking going down, or spinning going up, so try to hide them at the far ends of the section of hill, hopefully where they will be out of sight.

At the hill that we mow, I have talked to the customer about the difficulties involved, and he understands that there might be some damage (hopefully out of sight), especially on wet days.
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one about that size it was a PITA. I had to use the 21"er on it. payup payup
  9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I think I know that exact hill when I was at Carabbas with Ray from Union Turf. He said check that hill out that these guys mow.

Would I be correct, If I said Carrabas is across the street?
  10. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Hills like that? No way - I won't touch it. I'm not that crazy.