Would You Be a Sub or Use One?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BD Bone, May 2, 2007.

1. BD Bone

BD Bone LawnSite Member
    from USA

I am curious if any of you have subbed for a larger contractor? If so, would you do it again? What were/are the pros/cons? Any suggestions about going into a relationship like that?

If you are a Contractor using subs... Do you recommend this relationship and what advice/input do you have? Just curious about both perspectives of this relationship and various pros/cons.

We are contemplating some future business and were curious to receive feedback from both sides of the fence. Thank you for you input and feedback in advance.

(Paulina) Mrs. BD Bone

2. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I currently sub one day a week to a larger LCO in my area. It has been a great deal so far, he mows a medium sized university campus and a large commercial site on the day we help out. He brings 2 mowers and himself plus 1 or 2 helpers, I bring 2 mowers and a helper, and there is one other sub who brings his mower. From my perspective it is a really good deal to work with someone who has as much experience as he does, and the money I make in that one day pays the payment for the whole month on the new mower I bought to help handle the extra work. On the other side of the coin, he has told me that he would rather run a skeleton crew of his own, him and 1 or 2 guys, and fill in the remaining voids with subs.

3. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I haven't yet, but I am set up to do so. I have a Subcontractor Sign Up link on my web site and I have a Subcontractor Agreement form. I absolutely would use a subcontractor.

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Nice website...well thought out...

5. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

Hell yes I would. I have made my services available to several larger LCO's in my area. So far one has accepted my offer for some work. It makes sense to them, they have a guy they can rely on, offering professional service using high quality equipment, that they are not paying for, and they are also not paying taxes and other expenses associated with hiring someone.

I have networked myself with several people who I may use as subcontractors. So far I have actually used two. In both these instances things worked out extremely well for me. It allowed me to accept jobs and provide a high quality finished product that I otherwise would not have been able to provide either for legal or lack of experience/equipment. You want to be careful about who you get though. Remember it is still your companies name on the job. You also don't want someone who might try to solicit the customer away from you on the side. I have a written agreement I make people doing subcontract work for me sign in some cases. Among other things, and when it is relevant, it makes clear to sub that for a specified length of time he will not accept any work from this property if it is a service I provide...and for an even longer period of time he will not attempt to knowingly solicit any property he subbed for me on.

6. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Dot your "i's" and cross your "t's"!!!!!!

7. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I know the owner of a really big mowing outfit and he sometimes has to turn down work because he is either to busy or its a service he doesn't want to mess with so he refers them to me and I get alot of business from him. It works out well because even though he wouldn't do it the customer still had someone and fast. I get all over those jobs and leave them very pleased.

8. BD Bone

BD Bone LawnSite Member
    from USA

If you guys are subbing FOR someone else or if you Sub OUT someone else... Do you have any stipulations that you follow about signage on the trucks or logos? How do you feel about a client seeing a truck at their place or business/residence w/another company logo/signage on it if you are the contractor or if you are the sub?

Thanks!
    Paulina

9. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

What kinda rate do you pay someone that subs for you for 7-8 hours on the same site.. I have a big HOA that i could use help with help with...